Our Help in Ages Past

Eliza texted me late last night asking if I had a story about being of good cheer and not fearing even when it was hard. This morning she emailed me the most beautiful talk she will give in sacrament meeting that features the two stories I could think of--seeing God's hand even while grieving my mother's sudden and unexpected death, and M'Li making it through her life and marriage falling apart by remembering to be grateful to Heavenly Father every day even when it often seemed so dark that the only thing she could think of to be grateful for was that she was still alive. This morning I am struck by what a blessing it is to be grounded in the love of God, who is to me, completely epitomized in Jesus Christ.

That is the purpose of this blog for me: to remember that God has helped and blessed me in the past. By remembering these blessings it helps me have faith that he will continue to do that through the next hard things that come.

This week I worked my last shift as an ordinance worker, as my friend Beth said, "for this go round." I wanted to record the things I have learned while working in the temple for myself and for my children. They are glittering treasures that help in every aspect of my life.

-Avoid haste.

-Love, patience, kindness. Practice these.

-The Lord blesses everyone as much as they can accept. He especially showers blessings on all who love him and goodness and light.

-I have memorized the ordinances and work of the temple.

-My eyes have seen great things! Ordinance cards. Sacred information. Training. Miracles of redemption. The faithful saints at the tree of life.

-I have learned how the Lord sees his children--much how I see my own children--only with much more perspective, expansiveness and love.

-I have learned what temple workers are thinking about--loving and helping the people who are there.

-I have learned about coming to Christ. He will make a way and send help.

-I have learned that even entering into the temple is like an ordinance.

-I have learned that the Lord sees me individually and wants to help and welcome me.

-I have learned how much energy all that focus takes.

-I have learned to go to the temple to receive revelation and have scriptures opened.

-Listen for inspiration about where you are supposed to be, even moment to moment.


Other best things from this week were trying acupuncture and feeling greatly helped by it, going to a wonderful book club organized by Cynthia Cockriel, and talking to ALL of my kids. When Mariah, Eliza, Willa and Wyatt call me they often make my daily gratitude list of best things. Watching Griffin and Eve learn and grow and be hilarious and try new things also makes my list. My husband is a consistent best thing for me. I also worked on my calling a lot, which is really wonderful. 

The hard things on the horizon are these: Griffin had migraines every day this week, once enough to miss school. I am trying to find a new balance as my life changes and as I'm trying to find more energy and power for the amazing amount of work that needs to be done.

I know in whom I have trusted. I am sure help is on the way.

This is the 6th grade bros playing football at Meadowbrook Park. Eve was horrified I took this.

Griffin is far right in the blue shirt

The cutest cheerleader came to check if she could have a treat drink.

I'm trying to improve my sports photography with my phone. But only a little. Getting him on the field seems like too much of a stretch. The red cleats are my favorite.

Small stretch before she ran up the hill

and back down again.

My cute friend Carrie getting ready for her pain blocking procedure

She made it!

The box of nail stuff I gave Eve has a selfie slot.

She tried it out.

My cute friend Erin donated blood with me.

Feeling strong after we both had a minute to recover.

 

Comments

  1. I wish I could come help watch football games with you and give blood with you and share tired giggles. You are good and strong - even when exhausted. Your lessons from working in the temple were very sweet and gave me things to ponder, so thank you for sharing them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:38 AM

    Paige says: I love how you're holding the sign about the snacks! Also, you are very cute. That sign about the snacks was a very good idea, whoever had it. I'm so sorry about Griffin's headaches. I love the things you chose for gratitude. Good ones. Super ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather ....my first reaction to your post was remembering me coming to spend some time with you and Alan and kids and being told of your mom and dads accident and her death...and visiting your dad in the hospital and how unreal it was that it actually happened and then your mom’s funeral and it was real.....I even now find myself remembering the special person she was. Xo momw

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment