The most exciting thing this week was that Alan invited me to come to New Orleans. He was there for the Heart Rhythm Society annual conference. I was there to play and have fun. We had an amazing dinner at Emeril's new restaurant, Meril. Alan had a black fetuccini with blue crab that was spicy and fun. I had a pesto gnudi (like gnocchi) with spring vegetables. And a fun salad and tuna wraps and an amazing spicy Mexican hot chocolate cookie with dulce de leche ice cream and a homemade toasted marshmallow. And THEN they brought a cotton candy with a giant sparkler for my birthday! We had fun walking downtown New Orleans and seeing some fun art galleries. I had fun jumping around in the pool, walking the city, finding a vegan bakery, shopping for clothes and reading my book for a crazy long uninterrupted time. We had another delicious dinner at Restaurant Rebirth, which was a modern take on Cajun. Their blueberry brie salad and gumbo in a tiny cauldron were delightful! Alan had scallops and I had mahi mahi because it was served with a bunch of farm to table veggies. And they had a really fun carmelized white chocolate bread pudding for us. But the best part by far was visiting New Orleans First Ward. We were welcomed by at least 5 members of their small ward whose visitors probably outnumbered their members. Sister Tony gave cute New Orleans pins made by the RS to ALL the visitors. The bishop's kids came in without shoes, socks or ties, and we were told that was no surprise. But their 8 year old, Simon, greeted us at least thrice because he decided we were good people. And there was a talk about never missing an opportunity to testify of Christ. Then we had to catch our Lyft to the airport with Ms. Wanda, a friendly extreme talker with a daughter who had just earned her Pharm D.
Meanwhile things carried on here at home thanks to the capable and versatile Mariana Ward. She brought the kids to Eve's two soccer games, fed them multiple meals, presided over Griffin making buttermilk pancakes, and brought them to church. AND she set up our back patio for BYD, which was set to start at 4:00pm today. We walked in the door at 3:56. We love her!
| Sunset over the Big Easy |
| Birthday cotton candy and awesome wall art |
| Restaurant Rebirth |
Compared to that it was just our normal wonderful and terrible.
Here are the good parts:
-Talking to my kids.
-Talking to M'Li.
-Getting a bunch of plants planted even on a very low energy day. I just took a ton of breaks.
-Book club on my screened porch. I love those ladies.
-Podcast club on my phone. I love those ladies SO much!
-Taking the missionaries to dinner at Panera.
-Also Maria taught me how to make some amazing enchiladas and I made some.
| Eve dug herself into a hole at Wyatt Haughton's graduation party at Meadowbrook. |
New Orleans sounds like it was a wonderful adventure!! I love it when you get to travel with Alan to these conferences. It reminds me of the times I got to see you in NYC because of Alan's conferences. It took me a minute to figure out Eve's shoes. Ha ha - she is always where the fun is! What wonderful friends you have to help keep life going as though you were there at home. Happy Birthday tomorrow!!!
ReplyDeleteKirsta, those NYC memories with you are some of my favorites! They remind me of tiny Faith and Will too.
DeletePAIGE: that sunset is just amazing. It sounds delightful to read a book for as long as you like. Did Allen have fun at his conference? Maybe fun is an inappropriate word. Did he learn a lot? I really like how they brought cotton candy and a big sparkler for you. Maybe you didn't truly want either one, but they make a great pair. Isn't it great when you have a friend who can manage all the ins and outs of the week? Good going, how are you Wimmer's and people nearby!
ReplyDelete