Just Got Paid

This week was just a giant parent payday. There were so many good things!


-Spring is in full swing here in Kansas. And in Utah too, it turns out!

-Willa's graduation was just the best. I sat in Commencement with my eyes full of tears almost the whole time. Her graduation represents such hard work! The speakers were wonderful too. And we were surrounded by friends celebrating the same thing. It felt like a reunion and remembrance for me and Alan. We graduated together 31 years ago.

-We went to the Provo City Center temple with Eliza and Evan. Such a gorgeous building! Such a meaningful symbol! Where heaven kisses the earth. And Mariah hung out with Eve and Griffin for us. She is the best!

-We went to two separate, special baby blessings for Misty Jae Keller and Frank Alan Crespo. In between we had a lovely brunch organized and hosted by Shelly Crespo. I love being connected to the Keller and Crespo extended families! John Crespo showed us a project he worked on for a competition--a design for a chapel to be built on the BYU campus south of the Maeser building with the theme of light. I hope they win! It would be amazing to see it in real life. I also got to sit by my dad and my husband in church, which are both rare treats for me. The five kids I had there were on 4 different rows!

Fancy doubles make me think of both tulips and clogging.

More fancy doubles! In yellow!

All dressed up. Daffodils done, peonies about to pop.

-BYU graduation! Commencement was just wonderful. It was President Worthen's last commencement. He spoke about the exclamation point, which was just perfect for Willa I thought.



We wondered where Brett and Marcie were and then we turned around and there they were!



These two both with the BFA brown tassels helped each other several times during their time at BYU. (This is McCall's brother Calvin, for those who don't know. His wife is somewhere nearby.)







We had SO many friends there celebrating their kids and even grandkids graduating. This is Tara Packham. We knew the Packhams in San Antonio. Their youngest, Ryan graduated. Other friends who were celebrating: Kellers, Larsens, Carters, Binghams, Buells, Wards, and a bunch more I can't remember.

It's so useful to know the photographers! 

Random grad on a bike in cap and gown

Willa and Shanae both graduated!

We had a really fun lunch with the Larsens between ceremonies

Alan with babies is one of my favorite things. Misty is one of my favorite things!

Our girl in front of her building! Old Provo High is now housing BYU art

Willa with her artist statement. I'll put the text in here for my sisters.

That’s sure a long time ago


In 1896, my great-great-great-grandfather, Frihoff G. Nielson, helped to build a dam and create a small lake in Northeastern New Mexico. Several settlers of their faith joined them in the newly founded “Mormontown” near a railroad stop on the A&P line just west of Grants. 


The settlement grew over the years and adopted the name Bluewater Village. My grandfather, Frederick Pratt Nielson, grew up in Bluewater in its heyday. There was an elementary school, a post office and even a uranium mine nearby that employed many residents from the 1950s to the early 1980s. Bluewater became known as a farming community that produced most of the carrots in the area. Grandpa’s parents had a dairy, a general store, and an interest in his grandparents’ original homestead and ranch. 


Since then, much has been razed or burned down. In the 2020 census, Bluewater had a population of only 174.  I wanted to capture what is still in Bluewater while my grandfather is still here. Now I carry this piece of his legacy with me.


Exit sign for Bluewater and the truck stop/Dairy Queen/trading post

Dirt field where Grandma and Grandpa's store used to be. Uncle John's garage and house in the background. Also the library where (my) Dad, Grandpa and Great Grandpa were all born.

Trailers and that sky. The old tithing house.

The old church, the gate to the ranch, windmill on the ranch.

Coming back down from the ranch, overlooking the entire town.

Alan and Misty so you can see the scale of the photos. Also because they are adorable!

Video of my dad. You can watch it at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-spQgiITg




Buddy leading the way to Calvin's exhibit

We saw the exhibit of Calvin's work, which was amazing. His original presentation was performance art-- he did the audio and the visuals for this amazing CGI animated piece about the creation. The last six posts on his Instagram @calvin_keller show little bits of it. 

Frank and Alan

Mariah--so cool and glamorous even when she isn't even trying that hard.

These two are both exclamation points.

Our graduation dinner at Black Sheep Cafe.

Juliet didn't like the public toilets, so she used the little potty in the car. What style!

Getting ready for Willa's convocation. Marcie Keller hugged each one of my kids there. She is so great!

Willa is on the third row of students back in the middle. 


What convocation looked like for us.


Yay Willa!


B and J up on a shelf where we wouldn't lose them.

Frank was in his car seat just kind of growling and being adorable.

Hooray! Ready to blow that popsicle stand!

We had a "small errand" my dad helped us with that took FOREVER. Changing license
plates should not be that hard. Ever.


The cherry trees are in bloom at the Utah State Capitol.
Also thanks to Mariah for Griffin's totally cool haircut.





Blessing day for Misty Jae! Cutest tiny astronaut we know!

Blue tongues courtesy of Marcie Keller. Blue eyes courtesy of Patty Nielson and JoAnn Wimmer.

Frank with great grandpa Budge at the brunch Shelly Crespo hosted for us.

Misty with two grandpas!

I had wanted to get family pictures at the brunch and it just wasn't happening. This is what happened.

Quick pose by two of my favorites. I only got the one shot. 

Right before church started I looked around and my heart was so full I had to take a couple of photos. Frank Alan Crespo was blessed by Evan Crespo, Frank Crespo, Alan Wimmer, two great grandfathers--Frederick Nielson and Lowell Budge, and two uncles--McCall Keller and John Crespo. And Eliza and Evan's bishop. Shanae and Dave were with us and Willa Wimmer and Frank Crespo both made it!

Eve and Miley Crespo sitting with Grandma Crespo.



I didn't even make any of these people personally, but I love them as if I did.

 

Comments

  1. Oh oh oh! What a glorious time you had! Thank you for sharing Willa's senior project. Her writing is as good as her photography. Is there anything that woman can't do? Pretty impressive! Such charming babies to be blessed and what wonderful families on both sides to get to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel ever so slightly dishonest when I read your comment. I wrote Willa's narrative about her project. Eliza edited. Willa was just so stressed and done.

      Delete
  2. Those cute little roly poly cousins on the floor, and somebody off camera has to manage their antics in some ambiguous way. It’s just so adorable. I also love the astronaut with the giraffe toy. I’m so glad you were lavish with the photos on this post. It really gives me the impression I was there with you. With hearts being full like that, cameras should be too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayci5:39 PM

    This was a big pay off weekend for you! There are a lot of years of work and effort behind all these things. Congratulations to all of you on all the things! I am so happy Willa made it! She’s such a rockstar! Your cute grandkids are the best! Thanks for sharing so much of your big weekend! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment