Here are some of my favorite things:
1. My kids. I love that the little ones finished swim team strong. Eve cried when the last meet was cancelled for rain. I love that they are growing and getting a better understanding of the world. I love that they teach me stuff all the time. I love that Mariah calls me and I get to talk to her and hear Buddy chattering in the background. I love that Eliza got a new job that will value her more. I love that Willa has decided to make a quilt and apply for far flung jobs. I love that Wyatt has committed himself to serving a mission and is doing it well.
2. My husband. I love that he is patient with me when I'm a mess. I love that he has the best balance of anyone I know. I love his sense of fairness and financial savvy. I love that he takes me on dates and touches me tenderly. Our date this week was particularly good: dinner at a French bistro in Brookside (Aixois--can anyone help me pronounce that correctly?), a stroll through the Crestwood neighborhood, and a silly fun movie on Netflix (Red List).
3. My country. I read the back stories of two patriotic hymns this morning, and they both resonated with me. America the Beautiful was written after an English professor from the East visited Pike's Peak. She was thrilled with the beauty of the land and recognized numerous blessings and the need to continue to rely on God. The Star Spangled Banner you probably know the story of--a poet rescuing a friend from British custody was detained because the British army was going to attack an American fort. He heard the battle all night long and in the early morning was thrilled to see that our troops had stood strong in defense of our freedoms. It is just inspiring!
4. Books and ideas. I am reading Think Like A Monk, which has some really great ideas. I decided to look the author up on social media and liked his Instagram feed much less than his book though! Next up on my list is something much lighter: Sarah Dessen's The Truth About Forever.
5. Friends. Eve and Griff had a fun tie dye party with Addie and Emma on the day before they left for a month long road trip. Eve got to hang out with the Langford girls and come up with pool skits while I took their brother and Griffin to a fun Percy Jackson book club in Olathe. I also got to visit with a bunch of people I don't often see this week: Claire Ford, Carly Lee, Carrie Bolyard, and Donna Knoell.
 |
| Cool new library in Olathe |
 |
| Griffin and Liam having some post-book club Andy's custard, which is so not fair according to Eve. |
 |
| First cicada I've seen this season |
 |
| Her prize for finishing swim team was pink tips. |
 |
| Griffin dancing during the fireworks we saw the tops of from the Rosedale Memorial Arch. |
 |
| I need better settings on my iphone camera for capturing fireworks. |
It's fun to get help from a star guest posting by Eve! You are such a nice mom to help dye hair all the colors. (Ivy wants to, but is scared I will sing the My Little Pony song at her every time I see her - because I might not be able to help myself) I love it that you have a library picture. That does look like a fun library! Very cool. Griffin and Eve are the best sorts of gargoyles. I'm interested in the far flung jobs that Willa is applying for. I need to call you!! Lots of love!!
ReplyDeleteHeather, that is the first ..and only Cicada I’ve ever seen ! Xo momw
ReplyDeleteEve, I like your pink hair.... xo grandma w
I was going to help with the pronunciation of the word. I’ve got a bad case of summertime brains right now. Maybe eventually I will figure out your linguistic conundrum. Anyway, somebody will help you.
ReplyDeleteEliza getting a better job is great news!