I just thought I would elaborate on what I am doing for meal planning to make it more fun because Kirsta asked.
1. Made a list of meals (mostly vegan or with a plan for a vegan option) that we actually like and eat. I solicited help on this from the kids so I wouldn't forget to make their favorite things. I also did this by looking in my pantry and fridge and thinking, "I have this ingredient I need to use that I could make _______ with."
2. Made the list into color coded cards by category. The pink is Mexican food, the yellow is Eastern/Middle-Eastern, the blue is soup, etc. I have 6 or 7 categories.
3. Put easy recipes I think the kids can follow on the back. Laminated with packing tape to remind me of Paige and so they will last beyond this month. (I am only doing this part a week at a time.)
4. Let the kids each choose a meal THEY WILL HELP MAKE.
5. I choose two more, and assume we will have leftovers, date night (which is pizza or taquitos for the kids) and FFY (fend for yourself) on the other nights. Shop for ingredients for these four meals.
6. Post them in the order that we MIGHT use, and then make what makes the most sense or seems the easiest each night. But at least I know I have ingredients for all those things.
7. When we have made them, I put the card in a separate pile so the next week we aren't choosing the same things we just ate.
So far, I think it HAS been more fun! The kids like flipping through the cards looking for meals they like.
This is a great system. I like that it gives you flexibility but help from the kids. You also end up with your own personalized family recipe cards. I am going to have to think on if this or parts of this could work for me. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOooh. I especially like the thought, "I have this in ingredient that needs to be used that I could make _____ with." That is one I will definitely use. The cards are colorful and fun. I would have fun flipping through them too!
ReplyDeleteI just about got mad when you said that the Mexican food color is pink. But when you said Middle Eastern is yellow, I settled right down. You can have whatever colours you want. It is, after all, your system.
ReplyDeleteI like that idea a lot! Meal planning with kids was hard for me and I would have loved to use this idea back then! Maybe I will even use it now! I also love that you have your kids help cook.
ReplyDelete