We had planned months ago to go skiing this week. We didn't know we would need to be there to gather with family and mourn the loss of our dear sister and bury her in a frigid and snowy cemetery decorated with purple roses. We were so glad to be able to be there though! It felt like a way was made for us to mourn with those people we love who are mourning.
 |
| Eve and Griff, chillin' at the airport. |
The memorial service in Logan on Monday was cancelled because of many people we are related to testing positive for COVID. Alan took the littles skiing so I could rest my hip and also be with my big girls.
 |
| Sunrise over Squaw Peak as I was on the train down to Provo. |
We gathered at the Logan cemetary, right next to where Wayne is buried, and remembered Kathy and the love she lavished on all of us. As people told how they adored her because of how generous she was with her love, the scripture that came to mind for me was Luke 7:47: "Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much:"
Keith gave the family prayer, Alan conducted and dedicated the grave, and Britt gave an achingly beautiful life story and tribute. Bryan read a poem, Matthew talked about having her as a s'mom, and Jeremy talked about how his earliest memories were of just her and him together. He knew her the longest of anyone there. Several other people talked about how she touched their lives. I particularly remember Angi talking about staying with Dick and Kath as a teenager and then coming home and writing a note to herself about how she wanted to be as a wife and mother after watching Kathy do both of those things so beautifully.
Best parts of that day were being with people we love (even JoAnn, on her driveway after the graveside service!).
Then we got on to the bad photos part of our trip, which included two more days of skiing, Griffin and Eve learning to snowboard, a fun Cubby's dinner at Eliza and Evan's house, playing with Juliet and Buddy, and taking care of a lot of swimming and housekeeping at the condo.
 |
| A bad photo of us making a video for Mark Iba's 60th birthday. |
 |
| Nothing like getting above the clouds and finding the light! |
 |
| We got to talk to Wyatt! He is awesome!!! |
 |
| Eve got a new brush that she LIKES to use! |
 |
| Matching suits again! |
 |
| The flow is starting to show. |
 |
| Best innovation for mask wearing: beats. |
Bonus content: Eve snowboarding! I tried to get Griff too, but I lack video skills in a big way.
Evie snowboarding is just about the coolest thing ever! Also, all the pictures of your grandchildren are so adorably wonderful. You deserve those cuties!! I didn't think your bad pictures were bad, but we're always hardest on ourselves :) I'm just a bit jealous that you have someone who will do matching suits with you and I loved the brushing hair milestone. It's a real thing! We had that issue at our house too with our youngest. So glad you were able to be there with all the people you love to hold each other tight while it hurts. My heart aches especially for Dick and Kathy's kids.
ReplyDeleteWhat perfect timing for your trip. I am so glad you got to be in Logan wit loved ones and Utah in general with loved ones. Those grand babies are growing so fast. If it is possible they keep increasing in cuteness as well. It’s so good you got to rest and ski. Your snow bunnies are adorable. And I agree with Kirsta, no bad pictures in this post. Lots of love to you and your hurting loved ones.
ReplyDeleteIs Alan holding up okay? Kathy was such a nice person to him. Also to you. Are you okay? I loved the snowboarding video. I hope your hip starts to get back up to snuff.
ReplyDelete