I listened to a podcast as I was driving that was about how 2020 was BETTER than last year for the host. I thought that was a worthy thing to look for, especially since my theme for the year was supposed to be "Be of Good Cheer" and there were so many things that were stormy and made keeping that goal difficult. But as I started to look, it became easy--so easy!--to find things that were better this year. I found 30. One of them is a lie though. ;)
My title is from a song about learning from the hard things you go through:
And I know things now, many valuable things, that I hadn't known before.
Do not put your faith in cape and a hood, they will not protect you the way that they should.
And take extra care with strangers, even flowers have their dangers,
And though scary is exciting, nice is different than good.
(from Into the Woods)
Here are my top 30 things that are better in 2020:
1. Juliet Mariah! and Buddy Wayne!
2. Griff and Eve were baptized, joining the rest of us on the covenant path.
3. Griffin plays the violin now.
4. Wyatt is successfully navigating college, loving it and loving being on his own with roommates.
5. Willa is having a much better academic year and life than last year.
6. I am taking more responsibility for my little kids' education.
7. I am eating better than I did a year ago, giving my body more of what it needs and less of what it doesn't.
8. I have seen more sunrises this year than I have in years past. I love sunrises!
9. Our house is better than it has ever been. We finished all the projects that we wanted to do when we moved in.
10. Wyatt earned his Eagle Scout in the last batch of Latter-day Saint scouts to do it.
11. I started getting paid to write for a newspaper. I still can't really believe that!
12. The Chiefs won the Superbowl.
13. I got really good at Mexican rice.
14. I got a really great new car that seems like the RIGHT way to get around.
15. I grew about an inch.
16. Even though there were travel restrictions, we did some AWESOME travel. Excellent destinations and hugging of people I love. Even my self-isolating dear friend JoAnn Wimmer several times. And my dad and his lovely wife.
17. I love church at home. I also miss regular church, but I just love worshipping privately with my family.
18. I got bonus months of Willa and Wyatt at home.
19. I got to cut out a bunch of running around kind of busy-ness.
20. We really made use of our medical insurance policy and felt like we got our money's worth this year.
21. I have seen goodness in so many people around Kansas City. People in our area for the most part are really trying hard to be good and do good, and I have a calling that helps me see and focus on that in a big way. And I've put more effort into that part of my calling this year.
22. Podcast club. I get to hang out with Shawna and Jenny again!
23. Michigan book club! I get to hang out with Meredith and Sondra and Linda and a bunch of other ladies I love again!
24. We know about Zocalo, which may be my favorite Mexican food in KC
25. Ordering half as many Christmas cards is actually WAYYYY better.
26. I feel like I know and love my neighbors much more than last year. Having people home and hanging out on their driveways more was such a positive thing for me (and Eve!).
27. I feel like I saw more wildlife in my neighborhood this year than in years past. Foxes. Baby bunnies in the nest. Hawks. Deer. Really cool things.
28. I get to swim in the beautiful pool this year.
29. I have a better awareness around issues of social justice.
30. Field trip Fridays. I get to take my kids to do fun things with friends and call it school.
I didn’t write a list but reading yours reminded me of my own blessings..something we all need being reminded of. I woke to snow covering the roads..maybe 6 inches..and decided I didn’t want to walk through it from my car into the building for live church and risk slipping and falling so tuned into it on Zoom and other than missing the Sacrament it was a good experience ( this was my first time using Zoom since they started providing it) learning new things is a challenge at my age but still possible thank goodness😊xo momw
ReplyDeleteI like to stretch things out. Your first two items could easily be four. Getting paid to write gives you clout. I know you would never use that clout to clobber people but knowing you might makes Dufenschmurtz style snicker possible. You have a terrific attitude even framing scary health stuff as blessings. I just love your list.
ReplyDeleteI kept reading your list with skepticism - wondering which one was the lie. Maybe Wyatt doesn't really like college that much; maybe Griffin doesn't really play the violin...until I came to it. I spotted the lie. It must mean that someone else really just shrunk an inch, right??
ReplyDeleteGratitude lists are the best. Thank you for sharing yours :)
What a good year! Those grand babies are so lucky to be in your family! I love all the good things you remembered through the year.
ReplyDeleteI too am wondering which is the lie though.