A Bushel and a Peck

A lot about Griff:

This picture was taken as he was the very last cub scout to turn in his car for weigh in because we only guessed weight from one of Wyatt's old cars, and we were over. Dang!  It took us a couple of hours to grind out several holes, replace only some of our weights, and finally come in at exactly 5 ounces while still making clearance under the car. It was a lesson in persistence, but we are not sure who the lesson was for. We do know that Alan is very, very persistent.


Then on Saturday we had the actual event. And we had only ever been to Pinewood Derby at KC 1st ward, so we hadn't ever seen this scale of competition. It was kind of amazing! There were over 50 cars. And Griff won two heats, so that was cool. And really, we just sat back and were amazed at the parents who made this deluxe event happen. They did an awesome job. Griffin's car got the award "Most Delicious".

Here is an interview:

What was the best part of the Pinewood Derby?
-Being able to hang out with my friends.

Whose car seemed the best to you?
-Cal's. (He won for Tigers, and was 3rd overall. It was a speedy little roadster.)

Do you have any ideas for next year's car?
-A slice of pizza!


You can see Griff watching his car, the KC Cheese, winning his second heat.
Griff also wanted to take a picture of the T made by his loosening teeth. (Which also reminds us of Tesla, which we test drove on our date this weekend!)


A little about Evie:


Here is an interview:

Who are your best friends right now?
-I will tell you four: Hattie Stenger, Hazel Watkins, Addie and Emma Ford.

What are your favorite things to do?
-Now that it's spring I like hanging out in the sun!

What is something you are looking forward to?
-Going to Costa Rica and seeing monkeys.





A little about Wyatt:

Wyatt is doing great. This week he got a T shirt from BYU's math department that says "Rise to the Equation". And he is wearing it--even though he still has a couple of open applications out to schools he kind of cares about. He also asked me to guess what he was doing in school on Thursday and the answer was, "absolutely NOTHING!" He crushed an AP Econ test. The cats love Wyatt and he loves them back.

A little about Alan:

He took a big fall while mountain biking yesterday. He was biking down a fallen log and the exit was steeper than he thought and caught his wheel so he tumbled over the handlebars and landed on his head (I am so thankful for a helmet!) and flipped over to his back. I asked him what he did, and he said he got back on and rode the rest of the trail. "Why? What would you have done?" he asked. "Oh, probably cried and then walked my bike back." "Well, I decided that wouldn't be a good idea, so I just rode back."

He is also super happy with his job and the people he works with, kind of loves serving as bishop, and rearranged his day to take me on an awesome date that ended at the Apple store where we replaced the phone screen he broke when he tumbled off his bike.

A little about me:

The best parts of my life are people. I got to go on a walk this week with my friends Sharon and Linda, who were both born the same year I was. We told birth stories in honor of Eliza. (Eliza should talk to Sharon because her births were easy and good.) I also went to book club and my urban lunch group, and I got to hang out a lot with the people I already wrote about, who are some of my favorites. My other favorites, my daughters, called me multiple times. I love that we can do that! I saw my friends on the public affairs council (which is now the communications council) and the ward council, and talked to all the sisters I minister too, which is fun and pleasant because I think the Lord helps you love the people you are serving for him.

Comments

  1. I really like your "little abouts" Thanks for writing and letting me see. Dad n

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad comments for you? Should I be huffy or admiring?

    The cat photo with Wyatt is adorable. But don't say that to him. Tell him he looks studly and I'm sure he will be much happier.

    Evie sitting on a rock looking very "in charge" of the moment made me need a good squeeze from that chick. She's fun.

    I'm so glad the cheese car was a success. Griffin's so into it! Cub Scouts makes a childhood lots more fun. Was that his first tooth to leave him?

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:49 AM

    What a fun update on what is happening with your “at home” family! The car activities brought back memories...I’m reading a Rosemary Pilcher book and really liking it. I enjoyed her “Shell Seekers” a lot then read another..I don’t remember the title..and didn’t like it..so am glad to find her again! Xo momw

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to get to do the Pinewood Derby with Griffin. It's especially fun that he won two heats!!

    Feels good to have one of Wyatt's many AP tests done :) Quite a few to go? Reports on Wyatt are always fun.

    So scary to go over the handlebars like that! Sure hope that Alan is okay. Even with a helmet, it's no fun to land on your head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The AP test wasn't THE test. Those don't start until May. And I think he is taking only 4 this year because his other scores wouldn't help him anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, for the record I know that I am not Alan. My comment got cut off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment