Thru Cloud and Sunshine



This view out the airplane window today as I was on my way home from my date to DC with Alan reminded me of this fabulous talk by Reyna Aburto about mental illness, and how the clouds can amass in our lives and minds and make it seem like there really is no light. When we get above the clouds, which often takes effort beyond our own, we can see that the light was always there. I have so many people I know and love who are struggling right now with seeing only the clouds. At this dark time of year in the Northern Hemisphere, it can be a pervasive problem. There are several I am particularly aware of and praying for.

As I am trying to see the light, my theme this year is Be of Good Cheer, and there are some things that have really helped me do that.  One of the best is writing down three things a day I am thankful for and three I am looking forward to. It makes my heart unclench. It particularly makes my heart happy to go back and reread previous days' gratitude lists. I may include some of my lists at the end of this post. For now though, I'll just give the news.

-A couple in our ward has a painting business and has started working on our library and office. They are so very kind to not even mind when Griff and Eve want to help, or just talk to them.



-I finally figured out why UV likes to sit and face the wall while Evie practices. The reflection from her watch is mesmerizing.


Wyatt babysat G and E while Alan and I were on our date. I got to read a whole book, start a new bullet journal, eat dinner at a fabulous restaurant on the National Harbor with my true love, watch Shark Tank, sleep in, have a great pool workout, and a breakfast buffet.

Here are the things I was thankful for on the three days before I wrote this: BYUTV, a fancy date, time to reflect, a weekend away, a good book to read, a good husband who loves me, the word of God, the chance to get away WITH my family, and airplanes.

Also, I forgot to push publish on this and now I can't remember what else I was going to say. So this is it, I guess!







Comments

  1. Evie all snuggled up in a furry blanket is the perfect ending to a wonderful glimpse into the week! That's so funny about your cat watching the reflection from a watch. It's the cheap thrills in life that make kitties happy. Even my graceful beautiful sister can have a clenched up heart at times? How can that be? Your gratitude lists are sweet and not too long. Perfect heart medicine. I'm so glad I get to be part of your audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are all so artistic on this post!! I love them. Plus, what good things you have to say. Winter is more difficult than clear skies and warm weather. I'm a little bit scared that I won't live in the desert forever!

    Gratitude is great medicine. I agree. I also like caffeine, teaching Spanish and living with my best friend. And I hope that taping my mouth shut at night will be something that eventually makes my life better :) Hope's good too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment