I was sick this week, so I had to cut back on my to do list. But it turns out I had more to say than I thought I would. Here are the things I did instead of my regular running around.
1. We have had wild fluctuations in temperature, so on a warm day we headed to the new Wassmer park right before it got dark. The fall moon and the fall trees caught my eye and the new equipment was perfect for G and E.
3. After teaching my aqua classes in a more laid back style, I headed to the pool at the high school and watched the 5 boats made by the AP Physics 2 boys compete. They had to float for 30 seconds, then paddle to the other side and back. Wyatt's skiff took third. It was so much fun!
4. I started reading Come Follow Me with G and E at breakfast this week because they felt like they weren't really doing it. We talked about hearing the gospel (yeast) and mixing it with the faith of a soft heart (honey). It does so much more than just hearing it and barely letting it in your life.
5. I took a bunch of naps. I went on a walk with my friend Linda Yarlagada, which was wonderful and injected joy into my day and spared me the energy cost of going to High Fitness. I went to two public affairs meetings where we talked mostly about #Lighttheworld and had a religious freedom specialist who was in our ward in Ann Arbor and is now a research fellow at Stanford teach us about religious freedom and the groundwork for the case and laws the church are supporting. I took Griff and Eve to a fun conservation day in the woods that had a really fun nature treasure hunt. I skipped out on two choir practices. And we had a new family over for dinner. You just don't know the people you see at church unless you take the time to talk to them. The dad of this family has neurofibromatosis, which produces tumors under the skin and in the nervous system. He had a tumor that wrapped around his spinal cord and broke his neck. The doctors warned he would likely end up paralyzed as they went in to surgically remove the tumor. At the same time, his two year old son had a similar tumor that wrapped around his optic nerve and blinded him at age two. And they are awesome. The son is going to school to be a math teacher and the dad, although disabled, is not paralyzed and does good things like fixing their new house, doing odd jobs and taking in his sister and nephew who need a home and some help.




I love Evie's precious new face. When Faith lost her first tooth I had forgotten that it was a thing that happens when you're young and I happily freaked out. She still remembers. I think you should try that for Griffin and Eve sometime - it's even better than getting money from the tooth fairy (which is an iffy proposition at our house anyway, but I'm sure that you have a much more reliable tooth fairy at your house.)
ReplyDeleteYay for warmer weather, but I'm so sorry that you have been sick this week. Not fun. I'm impressed with your ability to see the good even when you're under the weather.
Wyatt's boat picture was so great for so many reasons! What a fun project. Senior year is the best.
Hope you feel better this week.
Lol I didn't know about Wyatt's boat competition! Did you take any more pictures of that? Being sick is the worst, but what a relief that you got to take some naps and take it easier than you usually do. I can't believe I found out about Eve's tooth via the blog. What a big event! Does Griff have any wigglers? And I think it's a good idea to do Come Follow Me over breakfast. I should start doing that instead of checking my email. I've just come up with a GREAT idea. You can fly my home for placement break! I'll just be on the same flights as you guys.
ReplyDeleteThe boat. He's so serious about it. That's awesome. I wish events like that were easier to attend for far away relatives. More fun than graduations, too. Maybe they should skip graduations and let people rave cardboard boats instead.
ReplyDeleteTell Eve congrats on her tooth. She's so grown up. Looks happy about it, too.
Your public affairs calling is terrific. You will most likely get some awesome job because you have that experience.