Angels Among Us

When I think of the blessings of the week, they are people.

1. Our ward trunk or treat and chili cook off was last night. This is one activity our struggling ward does well so we have decided to make it a signature event. I was in charge of finding judges for the chili cook off, and I invited KCPD officers. Officer Masterson is a community outreach officer and has helped us with suggestions for securing our building, but yesterday was a busy day for KCPD, including THEIR precinct trunk or treat. He went out of his way to bring people he works with who were really fun, took their judging jobs seriously and made a great visual and personal addition to our event. And they brought Royals baseball cards for the kids! It was adorable.


Also Sharon Sheldon. Saved our Harry Potter day by providing last minute costume additions for Harry himself.


2. The Steeles. Our dear friends moved this week to California. Alex has been there with our family for Mariah's homecoming from her mission, Mariah's wedding, Willa and Wyatt's senior pictures, and a bunch of less photo-worthy experiences. In particular, they came to Thanksgiving at our house last year with their brand new baby Charlie and ate our Instant-Pot miracle meal with us. We just adore them and are so thankful they have been a part of our lives for the last almost four years. Here is my van full of Steeles on their way out of Kansas.

3. Laura Nunnick. She teaches Griff and Eve first grade. I got to go help a reading group this week and have parent teacher conferences with her. My favorite things about her are that 1) I have seen Evie rush in and hug her on her way into class and 2)She thanked me for letting her know that Griff is still struggling with the transition to first grade and said she would do a few more check-ins with him.

4. Tammi Iba. She has been such a good friend since we moved here, but she came to my water aerobics classes (all three!) this week!  And I also got to eat lunch with her. She is one of the most humble people I know--has no clue how beautiful and powerful and amazing she is. And she will just definitely be in the celestial kingdom.

5. Angie Dal Bello. Evie went to a Girl Scout activity and her last soccer game was this week. Angie has just organized a whole huge bunch of girls into doing good things. We have 29 Lilly Scouts and 26 soccer players--enough for two full teams, and she just welcomes more people to come and be a part of the good she is organizing. And I think she works full time too. 


Also it's fall. Did you know? And I finished reading Becoming by Michelle Obama. 


Cat portraits by Griff and Eve respectively.



Comments

  1. Sounds like a great week. That's really neat to have KCPD come to your Trunk-orTreat. What a great idea. Your Harry Potter family portrait is wonderful!!

    You are so good about making friends of all ages. I admire how you treat everyone as worthy of being your friend regardless of age or status. Your friends are lucky to have you.

    The Michelle Obama book sounds great. I have wanted to read it for awhile so maybe I'll really do it now that you have set a good example :)

    Also, it tugs at my heart to hear that Griffin is still adjusting to first grade. New school experiences can be hard! I know all about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to hear about the good things in your life! You're so cool for finding cool judges for your chili cook-off. I wouldn't have even considered inviting non-wardies to do it. But the impartiality probably made the whole thing really exciting.
    I like your halloween costumes, and I'm satisfied to hear that Sharon Sheldon was behind fixing dad up with his costume. I was wondering how you got him so committed and got all of the pieces to the costume.
    I love Griff and Eve's teacher too after hearing about Eve running in and hugging her. She must be good.
    And I can't believe the Steele family is gone! I don't even know them like you guys do, but they seemed so intertwined in the lives of the Wimmer family. At least they'll be by Mariah. And back in their natural habitat.
    Good things in my life this week include: evan for everything, the wimmer familly fall dinner for being so fun and tasty, ellen for making me food, willa for keeping me company, you and dad for being so generous and good to me, high fitness for being so invigorating, and 20 naps for being so rejuvinating. Not a bad week at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that people are your blessings this week! I love your idea for judges and what a great officer to make it happen with their own event happening! What a great family Potter picture! I am sorry you had another friend move away. I hope that means you just get to make more to help with the void. You have so many good people in your life! I really liked seeing how you are great fun for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What smashing fun. Your ward Trunk or Treat was wonderful. I got a personal invitation to our words trunk or treat, and blew it off. That's even worse because the person was a wonderful 10 year old boy who plays hockey on roller blades outside my front door pretty much every day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment