Seven Small and Simple Things

Nothing big happened this week. I wrote a list of my favorite things that happened and none of them seemed very big. They were just regular things.  Here they are.

1. President Nelson's devotional. I watched this on byuTV on Tuesday and felt the Holy Spirit testify of truth to pretty much everything the prophet said. He challenged people to pray to know if he was a prophet and if the things he was saying were true, but I felt like to me that question was answered in real time. Eliza and Willa got to BE THERE!
2. FaceTime with Mariah. One of the best parts of my week was when Mariah called me from Connecticut where she is hanging out with Georgia while Brett and Marcie are in Italy. I was having such a great time with her that I completely lost track of time. She is so much fun!
3. Art Fair with Alan. We have had this date at least four or five times. St. Luke's sponsors the Plaza Art Fair and has a wine and cheese reception that we use for an almost satisfactory dinner and visit with various physicians and people connected with the hospital. This year we talked to a pediatrician and her husband who got really animated when we asked him about his job brokering freight. Then we wandered through the many smells and sights of the art fair. The only thing that tempted me was a picture that looked like the Lake of the Ozarks to possibly hang at our "lake house"--the one in Salt Lake. On the way to our second dinner afterwards, we passed another corporate sponsored party that was pumping LOUD music onto a hotel balcony a block away from the rest of the party but you could hear it from everywhere.
4. Sacrament service. I have mentioned before that our ward is very diverse and interesting, but not flashy with talent or anything like some wards we have been in. Today after a very nice sacrament blessed by Wyatt and Garrett, we had a very short 12 year old youth talk on service, and a long talk by a new-to-the-ward white-haired lady with a Texas panhandle drawl about growing faith. Then the baby who was supposed to be blessed showed up and that happened, the choir sang an improbably nice rendition of Faith in Every Footstep (we are just not that good usually), and the second counselor in the bishopric--Steve LeMon--who had a row and a half of family there to listen to his talk got shoved off of the program in the interest of the time. An awesome young guy in our ward with the hair of Jonathan Van Ness gave the closing prayer. The end.
5. Owen and Lily at the park. My friend Allie Ellis was due with her third child on Thursday, so I took her first two to Franklin Park to play on Tuesday. I had fun hanging out with that much cuteness. And poor Allie was at church today with no baby. But at least her mom is here to help.
6. I had no plan for dinner yesterday, so Alan graciously took us all out to eat at BRGR. Then Wyatt went to a stake dance that got poor reviews and the rest of us watched Bedtime Stories with popcorn and M&Ms.
7. I mixed up my exercise routine as my ankle continued to heal. I taught water aerobics on Monday (substitute) and only taught one of my classes on Wednesday because they are upgrading the sound system. Then I went again and just took the class from another teacher on Friday which confused everyone except me. On Thursday I taught a dancing sneakers class for another teacher.  I kind of love that, and some of the ladies did too. It's flattering to be asked what other classes you teach. This morning I was praying about what I needed to repent of and I realized I had forgotten for months to pay tithing on my little three-hour-a-week job. My piddling paychecks are something I usually don't even look at, but now I'm going to look at them as an opportunity to pay my own tithing.  At least once a month. Hooray!




The photo part:

Owen. Age 4 fingers close together.

Lily. 2.

Soccer Saturday. Eve demonstrating the splits to Steve LeMon

Griffin Goalie. His stance and attitude and new haircut reminded me so much of a 6 year old Wyatt.

Calm after the storm. It was pouring rain just before this.  And again right after.

Easy like a Sunday

Guardian cat. In my face.



Comments

  1. Eve looks so matter-of-fact about the splits. And Griffin could so so so be Wyatt 11 years ago.

    My favorite thing of your favorite thing was your description of sacrament meeting. Just these snapshots in time. They are priceless.

    I kind of like that you have guard kitties. And your pond is beautiful. Maybe I need one of those instead of a pool. In fact Kansas City looks nice with all the green. Maybe I'm ready for green again!

    You are wonderful to help a so-near-to-due-date mother. I ached that she was at church today with no baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eliza9:46 PM

    Evan and I really liked Eve’s splits picture. And Griffin’s bored goalie picture. I am glad to hear that even on regular weeks when you feel like you don’t do anything, you actually do a lot of amazing and fun things. I’m also ever-glad to see you posting at least one cat photo per post. Maybe I could come home and hang out with you for a regular week! We could go to your water aerobics, enjoy your beautiful house and yard, hang out with the kids, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, that having people ask what other classes you teach makes you feel good. I also love the Kitty picture. And I noticed Wyatt looking nonplussed while Evie did the splits. Isn't that the job of older brothers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:44 PM

    It’s early morn and I am about to get ready and go do My water exercise! I loved your post as always, but hadn’t heard of your injury?? Glad to hear you are healing😊 that is the case with most of our injuries, thank goodness! I have discarded the wearing my support belt because I decided my back was getting dependent on it and not rebuilding its strength...but it was addictive ... I had my yearly wellness exam..a part of my insurance program...and found that my little fall in March.. cost me 1/2 inch in height. It appeared to my doctor as I haven’t been losing height usually. It is funny how when I stand from sitting, it takes a few seconds for my back “hurt” to ease so I can walk comfortably...and when I went to the temple last and did washing and anointing it slowed the process as I had to stand for a few moments at each move! Take care of you for me because you are special to me.. xo momw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:47 AM

    Sweetheart,

    Thank you for this. I love every word and the spirit of the whole thing.
    You are special and amazing, all you do and record in just 1 week.

    I still work on the Long-Eze almost every weekday. I hope to be able to
    start it soon. After that, it won't be long before I can fly it.

    We attended the Manti Temple on TUE, then went to Doug & Jodie's cabin in the
    mountains nearby to clean it up for them. We stayed overnight and enjoyed the
    quiet, clear air there.

    My love to all of you1

    Dad N.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment