The cats are pretty sure they live here now. They have claimed bar stools as their thrones and also love to hang out on the benches in the library (Fenty) and the bench we use for our coffee table which is covered by a very soft pillow protector that is excellent for kneading (UV). We broke out the flea collars and let them outside for the first time while we were doing yard work. Fenty checked things out for a few minutes and then came right back inside for a nap. Ultraviolet was in heaven! She hunted critters, caught a cicada and rolled around on the grass and the driveway luxuriously. When she was done, she happily came in, had a treat, and preened herself clean on the landing of the stairs.
We are settling in to school too. Well, at least Evie and Wyatt are. Griff still complains about having to go pretty much every day and has been whining unless glued to a screen all week long. It's hard stuff.
We went to our 9th Back to School night at Briarwood (best, most efficient one yet) and our 10th at East. We continue to be amazed at the parent involvement (hallways and parking lot are absolutely packed that night) and quality of teachers that bless our kids lives. I think every one we saw had at least 2 degrees, some three or four. A couple of them are working on doctorates. I would love to be in some of their classes. Ron Stallard, pictured here, has taught 3 of our kids AP Government and influenced Eliza to love and major in political science. I told him she was now in law school. He seemed very pleased. This was our last date to the high school and gelato until Evie and Griff get there.
2. Getting Wild with Willa.
You know what Willa loves? Animals. Art. Really good food. We spent a good deal of time checking out some of these things while she was here. And she is really good at grocery shopping too.
![]() |
| While I was trying to drop off my bike at the shop, Willa went to Pet Supplies Plus. |
![]() |
| We visited 3 art galleries. This sunflower painting still tempts me. |
![]() |
| UV just loves her warm lap. And that she doesn't carry cats by their belly. |
We took Willa and Wyatt on a quintessentially Kansas City date. We saw the 30 Americans exhibit at the Nelson-Atkins and then ate BBQ at Q39 and walked the Plaza. The exhibit was wonderful! All of us agreed the most compelling pieces were Sleep by Kahinde Wiley and Duck Duck Noose by Gary Simmons. There were lots of other pieces that were worth thinking and talking about too.
![]() |
And the food, of course, was wonderful. Much better than the selfie.









I love this and wish I was there! I’m pleased you have been documenting the cats so well. And all of your stories and pictures make me remember what a lovely place Kansas City is to live. And if your post was lacking anything to begin with, it was sure capped off nicely by that hilarious closed-eyes selfie of Wyatt at the end. Feels like we are going too long between seeing each other (and calling each other too, if the scolding I received on the phone a couple days ago is any indication).
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you get to have some time with Willa! She is into such interesting great things. Art galleries, animals and great food sounds like lots of fun!!
ReplyDeleteCan't believe how many open houses at these particular schools you have been to. It really has been that long and that many kids, hasn't it? It's the best to know who all the best teachers are and so your kids can get excited to have those ones. So impressed with the high caliber of teachers at East! (Probably has to do with the high caliber classes that Wyatt is taking too!)
Your opening picture of UV and Fenti was so artistic. I liked it a lot.
So sorry that you're still getting over the hump of school starting with Griffin. It's exceedingly difficult to send kids to school when they complain about it.
My days at Basic are in high definition and are mission-like. There are moments that pass quite slowly, but I swear I don't know where the last week went and how it went by so fast!
Give all of your children within arms-reach a big hug from me!!
I love selfies of more than one person...we’re lucky if everyone is paying attention and everyone has their eyes open..much more than that is expecting a lot😊Have you noticed you do everything in twos? The bigs, the littles, Willa and Wyatt and now the cats! Xo momw
ReplyDeleteSo fun, mom!!! I’m glad I could come and hang out with you. It was lovely.
ReplyDelete