Making it Memorable

I'm reading a book about time management that is making a difference in my life.  First, it has inspired me to track my time for a week or two.  I'll write more about that when I have the data. Second, it reminded me that much of our time is spent in routine, which can be valuable, but often gets telescoped into a single experience in our memory. For example, tooth brushing happens every day, but you likely can't remember each incidence of brushing teeth, because they are so alike and we don't do anything to make one time stand out from another unless something really unusual happens as you're brushing. My weeks are just stuffed with routine activities.  But I also have a few things that make this week different from any other:

1. Snow day (seventh one this season--they are starting to telescope) after a long weekend in which I took G and E sledding (pause in appreciation please) at their school, which they really kind of missed by that point. Griff decided to invent a new sport that looked and sounded very much like snowboarding. He was still thinking of variations to distinguish the two last I checked.




2.  We painted together as one of what felt like a million activities to entertain bored kids this week. Griff made a volcano erupting on top of a basilisk lizard (the kind that can run on water). Eve made an ocean scene. I made a bouquet.



3. Alan was working this weekend (also routine enough to blend), and we had a toga party while he was gone. Griff and Eve didn't know what togas were before we Googled images.



4. A date where we each ordered our own seafood pot pies and different kinds of raspberry chocolate sundaes.

5. A Facebook post that felt inspired but that also made me spend WAY TOO MUCH time on Facebook this week.

6. Stewing for days about hurting my niece's feelings.

7. I sat directly behind a transgender person in sacrament meeting with long bright pink cornrow braids and whiskers who said her name was Tina.

And then I also did a lot of happy routine things.  Errands I was pleased to go on.  Books I was pleased to read. Time snuggling my littles and having fun talking with Wyatt, because he is fun to talk to. Phone calls from my daughters that help me get through my days and my weeks.  Housework that makes me feel tired but accomplished. And then ending with a fabulous Sunday. One talk in church on agency stood out. She encouraged us to pray like an agent, not like a whiner who wants their trials taken away. And we had three wildly different young couples over to dinner. We kicked them out at bedtime.

Comments

  1. I love hearing about the memorable things for you! I don't do nearly as much housework as you do (and the more people I nanny for the more impressed I am with your housework, by the way), but I do a ton of routine things, and I think it would do me good to remember the memorable things and record them! I especially liked that one of the pleasing routine things you do is reading -- I should do more of that. And I also especially liked that all the memorable things had to do with people. They're the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:57 PM

    Sledding. Painting. Toga party. Maybe I should request that you be my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best. Mom. Ever. You are so good to do all the fun things with Griffin and Eve even though you have done them all before with four other children. That's not easy! I think the toga party was a new one, though...well it would have been for me! Impressive.

    Griff's picture was strangely specific, but didn't look that specific. I love those ones :)

    Your stuff that stood out was very interesting and some of it I needed more info on. Time to email Kirsta with more info on Facebook posts, your niece and Tina...did you get to know her? Wow. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who wrote the anonymous post? I'm guessing Paige or Willa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's alright. I really love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea why the anonymous comment wouldn't show up as me.

    I love that concept of praying like an agent. My most productive prayers have included phrases like, "How do you want me to . . . " and "What way should I be thinking about this?"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment