I knew Mom's birthday would be a hard thing unless I did something about it, so I decided to have a party. But first, we got to go skiing. It was a beautiful day at Brighton with gorgeous landscapes that I didn't take photos of at all. All I got was my boys all steamed up by hot chocolate at the end of the day while Alan and Evie did one last run (don't tell them they missed out on the chocolate!).
Then we rushed back to the condo where an assortment of people I love gathered and ate tacos and Texas sheet cake in Mom's memory. I asked people to tell me a happy memory of my mom. Some of them I even remember what they said:
Alan: Tacos from heaven. No one else seeks revelation for recipes, and this one was an awesome one that we still make all the time.
Dad: She was terrified of flying but did it for years without complaint and never wanted to take his joy from him.
M'Li: She felt Mom with her at Costco recently, encouraging her and being all excited for her purchases, just like she would do. What a happy gift!
Joel: I totally forgot what he said, and it was a good one.
Lesley: Mom completely ignored her the last time they saw each other and spent her time tickling Reef and playing with his toes and making him giggle. Overall, she decided it was adorable.
Aunt Janene: DI. And also trying on hats and wigs one day at Nordstrom. And they were not very quiet about it while they were being so hilarious!
Eliza: Mom waiting up for her after she had been out late in college and wanting to visit late into the night. She didn't even know that's who her grandma was until she (Eliza) became an adult!
Evan: How kind and welcoming Mom was to him and McCall.
Willa: When Mom picked up Willa from French camp at BYU because of a terrible migraine, she lovingly set up a puzzle for them to work together. Willa's head hurt which made a puzzle seem terrible, but she didn't know that's the kind of thing Mom would have done if she herself had a headache to distract herself from the pain.
Wyatt: Wyatt thought Grandma Patty was great for always saving the cow jumping the moon pillow case just for him. The same one Willa thought Grandma always saved for her.
Hayden and Hana: Grandma Patty taking them up AF canyon to let them play their instruments just for the canyon and her.
Griff said she was a good and nice grandma, and Evie plugged her ears and walked away when I asked her, because she still gets a little weepy about missing her. It's okay. I sometimes do too.
Reef just dumped water on people's desserts.

Allen's comment about the tacos was hilarious. Great photos.
ReplyDeleteAll those wonderful faces and words! What a wonderful post to commemorate Feb. 18. Skiing is a great way to keep your mind and body busy. Good choice. The party looked like a great one. The only thing that would have made it better is to have Mom herself there...and ME! I hate to have missed it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful party! Such wonderful memories! A beautiful way to remember and celebrate your wonderful mom! I love how you gathered just the right people to help you make it through the hard! Lots of love to you and yours!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the Herculean effort you put into this occasion! It is so good to have a few seconds of interface with you. You are greatly admired and loved because of your total loving ways. It was a beautiful experience. Thanks for being H-e-a-t-h-e-r!!!
ReplyDeleteLovely post! It's fun to remember Grandma. It seems like the common thread in the memories is that she always managed to strike a balance between being hilarious and ridiculously tender. I thought the most interesting part of the evening was everyone being there without her -- the party would have been kicked up to a whole other level if she had been there in person.
ReplyDeleteEliza. You are right so many times he in such a short space. Thanks. I will always now remember my mom as being hilarious and ridiculously tender.
ReplyDelete