He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

Griff Wimmer, at almost 5 and a half, is a funny and tricky kid to raise. He is still passionate beyond belief, smart, funny, high energy and high maintenance. We are working on what to do when his emotions take over. We still don't have it right. Half the time he loves me so much he can't leave me alone, and the other half he promises he will never love me again if I don't do what he wants--and he won't leave me alone about it.

Some awesome things about Griff this week:  he told me in church today, "I'm going to bear my testimony."  I was kind of surprised, but watched him walk up, grab the pulpit and with great poise and clarity say, "I know the scriptures are true, and I know Joseph Smith translated the scriptures."  Then he ended in the name of Christ and sat down.  Final testimony of the day.  It was a high point, and it came at the end of a really great string of testimonies.

He also learned to ride his pedal bike on his own this week!  On Tuesday, my best thing of the day was riding around Franklin park TWICE and home with Griff and Eve.  And then we biked to Briarwood together where he and Eve had a quick Kindergarten evaluation.

He is sticking great phrases in his speech, like starting sentences with "Apparently,...." and "I'm going to assume that...."  And he is so close to being able to hang up button shirts and tie his own shoes. When he is fed, rested and happy, he is a delightful and willing helper.  But if he is tired or hungry, he is a bear.

We often shake our heads and marvel at what an amazing kid he is.  If we can get him pointed in the right direction, he will do great things.




Comments

  1. There's a certain protocol. Fall in that one spot and call out, "I'm ok!" It really helps when Dad says encouraging things. This was the absolute best moment of many good moments in my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:15 PM

    Yes, the tricky part of parenting is directing those characteristics that will make them amazingly successful, or on the other hand, contribute to a lifetime of struggling to succeed. Quite early you can detect the will to do what’s right, to follow the “rules”, the will to fit in, to strive to be their best. The opposite behavior (I’m not sure whether it’s a choice or not) is tough....constantly faced with the consequences of their poor choices. Your description of Griff is perfect! He’s an amazing heart and mind surrounded by parents and siblings who, by example, show him the “right way!” I’d say he’s on his way to being another truly great and gifted Wimmer man!!!!!

    Sent from my iPhone
    Kathleen Wimmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:16 PM

    Heather...Griffin truly is a different but very special little person. I love hearing what is going on his life and how he is growing to be him. Xo momw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love his passion. Especially his passion for you! Way to go with the bike riding skills! He's becoming the Wimmer he was intended to be. So much fun to watch that process as it unfolds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment