The Day of Miracles



My mom was in a car accident that ended her life last Monday night as we were packing to come see her for Spring Break.  The more details we learn, the more miracles I can see that make me feel like it was her time and we are being carried through losing our precious mother.  Here are just the ones I know about and can remember right now:

- We were considering leaving the country or going someplace far away for Spring Break.  Willa was definite that for her senior spring break we should go to Utah.
-The week before mom died she made a giant batch of muffins (inspired), went through more of her things getting a box ready for DI (inspired), and worked on her dad's life story with urgency (inspired).
-We were already packed to come and had airline tickets for the perfect time when we found out about the accident.
-Mom's last day included SO many people she loved! She talked to so many of us. 
-The last thing she did--see Lesley and play with Reef--was the thing she would have picked for herself.
-She got to spend most of her last day with Dad.
-She never suffered.  She died almost instantly.
-Her body had minimal external injuries and looked beautiful.
-A first responder was someone we know who loved both Mom and Dad.  She told the emergency workers who they were and contacted their bishop.  We got to talk to her (Holly Bangerter Reynolds) and hear her actions and impressions and what a sacred experience she felt it was.
-Dad was protected and calm until he left the scene.
-M'Li arrived at the accident scene soon after Dad left, and she, his beloved daughter, was the one who was able to confirm to him and everyone in the family that Mom was gone.
-Dad was almost immediately surrounded with people who love him.  He got a blessing from his bishop and first counselor.  M'Li, Joel, Lesley, Reef, Mariah, Mac, Eliza and Evan all came to him as soon as they could and were with him as he first understood and came to grips with what happened.
-All five of Dad's kids were at his bedside in less than 24 hours.  Their families soon followed.
-Dad is alive and walking and healing miraculously quickly.  He has three cervical fractures, three cracked ribs, seriously banged up knees, and is walking around and getting healthier by the day.  He was able to leave the hospital and attend the funeral just three and a half days later.
-Schedules worked out so that Dad's kids have been able to serve and help him as a group and individually through the entire first week and beyond.
-We were and are still being showered with love and prayers and help from so, so many good people.  The outpouring of love has been and is still amazing to see from the inside.
-A friend from KC (Shelley), who rarely is on Facebook, saw what happened and texted her daughter (Jen), who lives in Bountiful and happened to be in SLC.  Jen immediately picked up Griff and Eve who had a great day playing with her kids while I dealt with errands and funeral arrangements.
-I mysteriously got to visit and play with Jill AND work on my talk while Kathy and Britt took care of Griff and Eve AND Alan and Wyatt got to ski AND Willa got to hang out with her sisters.  It was the best of all the worlds.  That just never happens.
-So many family members I thought would be too far away made Herculean efforts to be there.  I have 50 first cousins, and the majority of them were there.  Mom and Dad had many cousins there as well.  All of my Dad's living siblings were there and we got a picture of them together.  The funeral was a party Mom would have loved.
-I was worried that Willa's 18th birthday would be swallowed up in her grandma's funeral.  That happened, but I later realized that she was with all three of her best friends, Liberty and Mariah and Eliza, who ALL LIVE IN UTAH, all day long on her birthday from morning to night.  That also never happens.
-It's hard to believe all the food that just showed up right when we needed it was mere coincidence.  I think it was people listening to the spirit. Paige brought burritos to the hospital. Aunt Janene had pizza for me and Kirsta and M'Li on Wednesday for lunch. People brought food to the house in Alpine and to M'Li's house in Pleasant Grove--perfect amounts for the indeterminate crowds we had at different times. My friend Barb brought dinner to Alan, Willa and Wyatt when they got back to KC and had hardly any food in the house. My friend Alex brought us food that arrived at our house as I was coming home from the airport.  The perfect mix of salads and junk food.  Willa made cookies for my arrival--my happy food.
-I was able to talk to the driver of the other vehicle and he is physically okay.  He is emotionally wounded.  He knew the funeral was Friday and couldn't even go to work that day.  He has been praying for us, and especially for Dad. I got to tell him things I hope help him heal on the inside.  Mom didn't suffer. Mom was a good person and lived a long and good life. Her death released her from chronic pain. We wish him healing and hope for the future.  I will pray for him too.

It's a list that I may have to add to.  The best blessing is that between feeling the waves of grief and sadness, I've felt a definite peace and hope.  I keep thinking, "What is that feeling?"  I'm answered with, "The comforter."   "What is it doing?"  "It's bringing comfort."


Comments

  1. Mom's whole life was filled with days of miracles. There's every reason to expect miracles to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:08 PM

    What a beautiful listing of all the special happenings at such a sad time...sad at first when I knew my friend Patty was really gone...the gratitude that it was instant and no suffering...and what a tremendous compliment to your mom was shown by the huge attendance at her funeral..and how amazing the healing of your dad..I treasure it all xo momw

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many things to be grateful for. On my way into work on Monday I wondered for a moment how I would go back to life at all. Then I had this memory of holding mom's hand and feeling just right. That and knowing how hard Dad has been working - I'm just going to follow his example.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. It made my eyes fill up with tears. It seems so perfect and fitting yet hard and unreal all at the same time.
    I will make sure I show this to Janene. I think the reality of it all was catching up to her today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment