Fake Birthdays and Virtuous Women.

Last week I neglected blogging because I was busy being with my family.  After celebrating Griff and Eve's "fake fifth birthday" with the Haughtons on Friday Nov. 17, we took off to Utah.  



I think one of my favorite parts of the week was going to church together with EVERYONE in my immediate family.  We went to Eliza's ward, where the RS lesson was about being a virtuous woman.  

I've always loved the scripture in Proverbs 31:10

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.

In the past, it's always reminded me of my aunt Ruby, for obvious reasons.  She is good and lovely in every way.  And I have always thought of my mother, and my mother-in-law as virtuous women.  But this time, I read clear to the end of the chapter, and it brought to mind a different aunt this time.  Did you know how hard a virtuous woman works?  Most of the chapter is talking about all the things a virtuous woman does and how she works hard from morning to night to bless her family and the poor and the community and her neighbors.  And then come these verses:

26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
This time it brought to mind my aunt Mignon.  She has 18 (I think) children--all single births.  In my youth, I never admired that.  I thought it was unwise.  But I have watched her children rise up and call her blessed.  And I have seen her open her mouth with wisdom and say the law of kindness.  She has said things that have stayed with me.  Most notably, in the face of great hardship, she said: "Respond with love."  And now she works hard to support her husband who suffered a stroke.  She has always been a caregiver.  Her example brought me to tears as I read these verses.  I'm so thankful for the spirit for allowing me to see with the Lord's eyes that day.

Comments

  1. Not trying in anyway to downplay, she had ONLY 16 children, 13 still surviving! "Respond with Love". Love never faileth... Who can top that? ....Mr. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you send this to Aunt Mignon. What a beautiful tribute! You say things well!! Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think of Aunt Mignon a lot. She works miracles in her family and her home town because of the choice tho love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very dear tribute. I don't ever remember speaking to Aunt Mignon one on one, so I'm glad to have your beautiful perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Reminder to me of my fun days with all of you....I especially loved my tiny guest room..and it's magical sleep inducement ability! Xo momw

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment