When we went to Eliza's graduation at the end of April, we saw an amazing number of people we knew when we were at BYU--at at other stages in our life--there to see children graduate. And one of my fellow folk dancers (Judy!) was even graduating herself. It was a great reminder about all the wonderful things we gained during our BYU experience. Most importantly, it is where our family started. But the relationships we made and the things we learned about learning with the spirit are things we will also have for eternity. I think the longer you are away from BYU, the more you see what a unique experience it is and what an amazing blessing it is to go to school there. It is one of the reasons I agreed to serve on the BYU Alumni KC Chapter board.
Serving with BYU Alumni during such a busy time during my life (second set of twins born and growing, Alan's job intensified, first set of twins off to BYU themselves, one graduating and one serving a mission and starting cosmetology school, Willa diagnosed with chronic migraines, church callings, missionary opportunities, etc, etc.) made me reflect several times to decide if it was worth it. It turns out I only believe strongly in a very few things (restored gospel of Christ, family, education and exercise) and BYU covers most of them. And it gave me a few really fun opportunities I couldn't have had any other way. I got to sit between Bronco Mendenhall and President Worthen during a fireside, I met and had dinner with a Royals pitcher, and I helped to put on a surprising array of large events. And it gave me some chances to be more than only "Mom." It was mostly good, but I was losing steam.

So I prayed about what to do, and as often happens, the Lord took care of things so much better than I could have. I decided it was time to step down as chair, regardless of if there was a replacement, but I also had a surprising impression of who I should ask to replace me. I wouldn't have done it on my own. She is SO busy. She has four tiny kids 6 and under, sings in the KC Symphony Chorus, teaches piano and has her own business selling Lu La Roe. Luckily, she stopped also babysitting full time and being the YW president recently, so that opened up some time for her and during our BBQ/meeting this weekend, she agreed to run the show. And other board members stepped up in a big way making way for her job to be much easier than mine was. I am so hopeful it will be a blessing for her as it was for me. I think she will do a fantastic job.
 |
| New officers: Randy P. treasurer, Heidi M chair, Sherrie D. vice-chair, Seth J. secretary. |
For this moment, I feel light as a feather and oh, so great!
Mmmmm. Your musings are good. The picture of you and Alan graduating with your Eliza and her Evan was so heartwarming. They are so good. Just like you and Alan.
ReplyDeleteWhen Mariah and Mac were here they read the scriptures together which really warmed my heart. Your girls are so good (and your boys too!!)
I'm doing a little happy dance that you are FINALLY free from running the Alumni Show! SOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the graduation pictures - you and Al and Eliza and Evan. Two GREAT couples. But I had almost forgotten how young Alan looked. And I always love your selfies with your little ones! Great post!!
I'm doing a little happy dance that you are FINALLY free from running the Alumni Show! SOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the graduation pictures - you and Al and Eliza and Evan. Two GREAT couples. But I had almost forgotten how young Alan looked. And I always love your selfies with your little ones! Great post!!
How special hearing your "remembering so" of those long ago days at BYU..and such a nice solution to your chair situation...a reminder to me how things usually work out for the best if we just keep the faith! Xo momw
ReplyDelete