This post is a copycat post of Paige. She wrote about Kirsta moments for our little sister today, on her 42nd birthday. So naturally, I'm going to do it too.
Terrible moments:
I remember Kirsta being about three and getting into my stuff WITHOUT ANY regard for pretty much anything while I was in school. Now I watch Evie do pretty much the same thing and think, "Well, whatcha gonna do?" That is just how three year old little sisters are.
I remember being so, so, so angry at each other that we willfully dug our fingernails into each other's forearms until we were both bleeding. Immediately afterwards I was just horrified that I could become that ugly that I would intentionally hurt my sister. It was terrible to let my anger get the best of me and her like that. Never again.
Tender moments:
Kirsta cried and cried the day of my wedding. I just stood there outside the temple holding her and reassuring her that she wasn't losing me forever. I was so touched that she was so emotional about it.
Kirsta watched my three very young girlies so I could take a trip with Alan in early 2001. And her own baby was brand new. Seriously, Faith was only about a month old. I can't believe I even asked her to do that. And I can't believe she did it. That is true love.
Teaching moments:
Kirsta teaches me wise things all the time. I remember asking her how she decided to go on a mission and she said she had a spiritual glimpse of who she would be if she went on a mission and it was so much better than who she would be if she stayed home. That has stayed with me. Which woman do I want to be? The one who chose to serve the Lord or the one who stayed home?
I admire her resolve to avoid sugar so much. I asked her how she can even do that. She said she couldn't for a very long time until she prayed for help and taught a lesson about it, and then it was just a spiritual gift that was given to her, and she can't ignore that gift and snitch a little here and there because she knows it isn't even her own. I want to seek for and recognize the best gifts in my life and know without doubt the source from whence they came. I want to be like Kirsta.
You know, she is 42 now. That is pretty darn grown up. She is making responsible and good decisions all the time. I think she is getting a lot of things right. I want to be like that too.
Terrible moments:
I remember Kirsta being about three and getting into my stuff WITHOUT ANY regard for pretty much anything while I was in school. Now I watch Evie do pretty much the same thing and think, "Well, whatcha gonna do?" That is just how three year old little sisters are.
I remember being so, so, so angry at each other that we willfully dug our fingernails into each other's forearms until we were both bleeding. Immediately afterwards I was just horrified that I could become that ugly that I would intentionally hurt my sister. It was terrible to let my anger get the best of me and her like that. Never again.
Tender moments:
Kirsta cried and cried the day of my wedding. I just stood there outside the temple holding her and reassuring her that she wasn't losing me forever. I was so touched that she was so emotional about it.
Kirsta watched my three very young girlies so I could take a trip with Alan in early 2001. And her own baby was brand new. Seriously, Faith was only about a month old. I can't believe I even asked her to do that. And I can't believe she did it. That is true love.
Teaching moments:
Kirsta teaches me wise things all the time. I remember asking her how she decided to go on a mission and she said she had a spiritual glimpse of who she would be if she went on a mission and it was so much better than who she would be if she stayed home. That has stayed with me. Which woman do I want to be? The one who chose to serve the Lord or the one who stayed home?
I admire her resolve to avoid sugar so much. I asked her how she can even do that. She said she couldn't for a very long time until she prayed for help and taught a lesson about it, and then it was just a spiritual gift that was given to her, and she can't ignore that gift and snitch a little here and there because she knows it isn't even her own. I want to seek for and recognize the best gifts in my life and know without doubt the source from whence they came. I want to be like Kirsta.
You know, she is 42 now. That is pretty darn grown up. She is making responsible and good decisions all the time. I think she is getting a lot of things right. I want to be like that too.
This was really tender. I got misty remembering your wedding day. Thank you for your kind words. Why do they matter so much? They just do, don't they? I love you, sister.
ReplyDeleteOh how I wish I could have made one more person... As long as it could be a sister like either of you for the one girl I got.
ReplyDeleteThis is so loving and insightful. Thanks be to God that my girls love each other so much!
ReplyDeleteYou were blessed with some pretty great sisters! Xo momw
ReplyDelete