It's a Love Story (Baby just say, "Yes!")


Mom asked me to write our love story for her blog...and I may just beat her to the punch in posting it.  Here are the words we were thinking as the whole thing happened.

From our journals:

March 24, 1991
I broke my dating fast last night, going to “In the Burning Darkness” with Miss Heather Nielson, a friend from Butler’s chemistry class last year. I hadn’t seen her since then until our paths crossed in the ESC (Eyring Science Center) and she said as I walked by, “I miss you so much!  My chemistry classes are boring now!” I decided if she missed me so much, I better ask her out.  I’m glad I did. We had a fun time together.

March 30, 1991

Last night we had a veritable marathon date. Earlier in the week, I called Heather asking her if she wanted to do something on Saturday, though I had nothing specific in mind. After talking with Mark and Heather again the following day, we finalized plans to go to Salt Lake with Heather’s sister Paige. Leaving at six, we travelled to Salt Lake, dropped off our bags at the condo, and walked over to Market Street Grill for seafood. Heather and Paige are both really bright girls, which makes possible continued, lasting, interesting conversation. Also, Heather is sweet, kind and loving to everyone. Our date lasted about nine hours; speaking for myself, I felt as if the time just flew by. After dinner, we went to a laser show at the Hansen Planetarium, then returned to the condo to play some late night racquetball, and finished the evening with a relaxing swim and hot tub. All seemed to have a good time. ’Twas truly a marathon date.

March 31, 1991

Last night I went out with Alan Wimmer on a marathon date.  We doubled with Paige and Alan’s roommate, Mark, and went to dinner at Market Street Grill (YUM), a laser show, played racquetball and went swimming.  It was really fun and I like to do stuff with Alan.  Sharp guy.

April 9, 1991
It’s now eleven minutes after ten. Not long ago, I got back from Heather’s apartment, where she proofread my economics paper which is due tomorrow. I had the neatest day with her Sunday. She invited me to watch General Conference at her home in Alpine. I arrived, finding her family comfortably seated around a big screen TV, dressed in Sunday attire, the girls wearing dresses. They’re really a down-to-earth, loving family. I felt comfortable with them. Between sessions,we all sat down for a real Sunday dinner. It was nice to be in a normal family setting on a Sunday. As Heather and I drove back to Provo, I asked if her mom was some kind of public figure; she seemed so familiar to me. Tonight, at Heather’s apartment, her mother called and mentioned that she felt bad for staring at me on Sunday, but that she is certain she has seen me somewhere before. She said that Heather needs to bring me home again so that she and I can have an in-depth talk. As of yet, our seeming, former acquaintance stands as a mystery.

April 14, 1991
I spent the afternoon at Heather’s house again. I went with the intention of explaining to her about why I was getting dressed, in a hurry, and unable to visit with her when she stopped by to bring me a card last night. I had a date, but it turns out that she did too, which you might say evened things up. As I think back, we were together for six hours with no supplemental entertainment other than just talking with one another.


April 17, 1991

I have been studying a lot and dating a lot.  I talked to Joelle today and she proclaimed me the “dating goddess”.  Even though I go out a lot though, I like Alan best so far. He is good and righteous and has a good heart.  Besides that he is fun and I’m really attracted to him.

April 20, 1991

Memorable date: Alan kisses Heather for the 1st time. :). Heavenly Hash ice cream because it was a celestial kind of experience.


April 29, 1991

This week I was going to go to Las Vegas with Alan, but that fell through because his brother’s wife was sick.  Instead we just played a lot around in Utah.  We went up to Logan and I met his parents and stuff—it was fun. And we spent some time in Alpine too.  Gosh I like him a lot.  As a matter of fact I think I’m in love.  Hmmmmmm…. :)

May 7, 1991

I have been smiling a lot because Alan loves me. :) I love him too.  The end.

May 11, 1991

Last night Alan and I crashed AF (High School’s) Sadie Hawkins. It was incredibly weird and I am so glad I am done with high school.  It was really fun to bug Kirsta.  She is a cutie and she thought we were really weird to show up.  That is all. :) I LOVE ALAN.

May 15, 1991
It’s been too long since I last wrote. The biggest thing in my life right now is Heather. I have been with her every day since last semester ended (about 3 and a half weeks). So much has happened, but I don’t know where to start.

May 19, 1991

I AM ENGAGED! AAARGH!  How scary, but how fun to be with Alan Paul Wimmer for the rest of forever. We aren’t going to tell anyone until my birthday, so I will probably pop.  Just so I have the moment captured on paper, here is the play-by-play.  Alan came over after his church meetings to train him for Sunday School leadership at about 9:30pm and took me up the canyon. We sat on a rock next to the Provo River and watched the stars and the water and then he said he wanted to spend the rest of his life and forever with me. I said, “Is this a proposal?” and he said it kind of was and asked me if I would marry him. So I said “okay” and asked him if I could pray about it. But I already knew what the answer would be, so I just said YES. After that we talked for a couple of hours about being “m”-ed—resolved concerns and such. Then we came back. I am ever so happy. I LOVE ALAN WIMMER. FOREVER. :)

May 20, 1991

What I was leading up to saying on last Wednesday’s unfinished entry is that I am in love with Heather. But after last night, there is much more to say. We are getting married sometime in August!! The reality of what has happened has hit me, but not very hard. It just seems so natural and right. I love her. She loves me. We want to get married, and so we decided to do it. I had been thinking of proposing to her for the past week or so, but didn’t want to be too hasty and was a little bit intimidated by the thought. After church on Sunday, we cooked dinner for each other and I thought “Maybe today is the day.” So, when I dropped her off for her fireside practice I said we should go up into the mountains after my Sunday School presidency meetings. The way she smiled and kissed me I thought she knew, but she insisted that she didn’t even suspect what was coming. It was about 10:00pm when we arrived at a little grassy picnic area in the canyon, spread a blanket on a rock at the river’s edge and sat beneath a half moon and a sky filled with stars.  Expecting a trying ordeal, I can’t believe how easily it came out. I told her that I loved her and she said she loved me. Then I said I wanted to spend my life with her, and I hoped forever. After a short pause I said I didn’t know of any practical way of doing that other than getting married. Another pause… She said, “Are you proposing to me?” —-“Yes! I want to marry you.” She said she wanted to marry me too. “You will marry me then?” I asked. She said, “Yes, but can I pray about it?” I nodded. I felt calm as a summer’s day but she was hyper-ventilating and making sporadic sighs or cries for an hour or two which finally led up to a hearty, country “Yee haw!” as we said goodnight.  Between proposal and goodnight, we lay on the grass for a couple of hours talking logistics and laughing about what had just happened. We decided August—probably a double wedding and reception/party with her sister Paige. We talked about being parents, being grandparents, graduating together, continuing school together, always loving and helping each other, not having to say goodbye each night, cooking together, brushing our teeth together, loving each other forever no matter what. We decided not to tell anyone before we tell our families. We plan to call my Mom and Dad tonight and making the announcement to Heather’s family on Wednesday while we are at her house for her birthday. I plan to talk to her dad first and solicit his approval and blessing before telling the rest.  I think he will appreciate that. Tonight we look for rings  oooh boy!!

June 6, 1991

My 20th birthday was the most magical one I’ve had so far. First thing in the morning we got up and headed out for our last 4 performance day for SPAC (Spring Performing Arts Company of the BYU Folk Dancers). Everyone sang the Happy Birthday song to me and I don’t think there were very many dances all day when someone didn’t whisper happy birthday to me. At the last show Judy gave me a birthday cake (Happy Birthday Wonder Woman) which I shared with SPAC. Then I nearly exploded with excitement all the way home. After a quick shower, Alan showed up and took me home to Alpine for a birthday party/engagement announcement. I got to wear my ring home. :)

When we got home it was windy and stormy and one of the trees Dad just planted fell over, so Paige and Alan and I helped him put it back up. Then Paige and I went in and Alan stayed out to talk to Dad. When he came in he was all smiles, so we went downstairs to get the ring. I flashed it around for a couple of minutes, but Mom didn’t notice soon enough, so I pointed it out to her and we began surprising people all over the place. It was fun. After that we ate burrito casserole for dinner and then had a treasure hunt for presents. I got everything I asked for plus more fun things. I felt like a spoiled princess and I was so happy that my smiler nearly wore out. COOL.

So I have been formally engaged for two weeks now and I like it a lot. Last weekend Alan took me to meet Dick and Kathy and to be approved by them. It was fun. So all I have been doing is engaged people stuff—like flying to San Francisco to get a wedding dress for Gunne Sax, looking at apartments, making sure I’ll be able to graduate with Alan and mostly mooning around being in love.

This is good and it is real. I have prayed about it and know this is what I am supposed to be doing. I love having direction. I love life. I love the gospel. I love Alan. The End. P. S. 2 months, 9 days.

June 9, 1991
One of the most significant times of my life and I haven’t written in my journal in over three weeks!! I am just goofy, head-over heels in love. My spare time (almost all of it) I spend with Heather. Some of life’s details like journal writing are getting passed by, which must happen again tonight, as it’s time for bed. However, I intend to find a few moments to write about the happenings of the past few weeks. When? I don’t know.


Comments

  1. OH! This is such a treat. I'm smiling all over reading this. You are both such great writers. Your journals -- who even knew you could get a story like this from TWO journals?! Love it. I remember that goofy wonderful joy you both had. I'm so glad you found each other and have had each other this whole time. Life is right that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome details. I loved every word. Yep, it was very goofy to be engaged. Did you have to withdraw from summer classes? i did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:05 PM

    That is soooooo adorable! I wasn't here for any of that so I absolutely loved being transported back to a time that I missed. I loved it. And I love you both.

    Angi W. Larsen
    "Dance with the BEST at Utah Dance Fest!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so fabulous! I loved every word, especially not knowing you then I loved picturing you and Allen young and twitterpayted . You do the grown mature love so well it is good to know you have been consistent and did young love well as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was that picture taken outside your newlywed house in the tree streets?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:23 AM

    Heather, what a fun read on yours and Al's love story! How special to have both journals to follow the happenings. xo momw

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paige, that was taken at a little house across the street from Alan's apartment--Liberty Square. I keep wondering if it is still there. The apartment sure is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eliza5:00 AM

    If I'm not mistaken, that house is still there. It's on the south side right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's perfect! Thanks for writing this. Fun fun fun memories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment