Yes, I taught today again. This time it was about Elder Hales' talk from Oct. 2014, which is basically an apostolic testimony of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost. I started by telling the ladies that this talk reminded me of why we were there. I told them about my little ones who love to go jump on the trampoline across the street and that each time I tell them to "Stop. Look. Go." Going to church is our chance to stop and look before we go. In particular, this talk reminds us of the very foundation of why we come to church, so it was a great chance for us to be aware that this was our time to stop and look.
I read them this quote from the start of Elder Hales' talk:
Then I asked them to really think about that question, because in my dream Relief Society we would finish the lesson by just having EVERYONE answer it. I know not everyone is comfortable with that, so I asked those who felt inspired to share when they knew.
I told them about Mariah, who is in the MTC right now and learned from me as a little girl that Heavenly Father loved her and she just believed it because it wouldn't make sense not to. I told them that her testimony from that time had grown and that she hadn't always leaned on my testimony and that she definitely wouldn't be on a mission if she didn't know for herself. I told them her experience resonated with me because I learned the same truths from my mother when I was a little girl.
Sister Pitt told about how she hadn't grown up in a religious family, but had always known there was a God who loved her. As a little girl her mom let her pick out something to buy once and she picked a picture of Jesus even though she didn't know who she was. She just knew she was drawn to him and he loved her. She still has that picture.
Matt Olsen's mom (visiting from SD) told about how her prayers were answered over and over again even as a child and that when she prayed to know if God loved her the answer was an unequivocal, deep and resounding yes that has been repeated with the same power every time she has been unsure.
Sister Allred (my former Primary counselor who is moving out of our ward this week) said she knew because her father, who was a deeply religious man, took her on walks in God's beautiful world. His favorite song, and hers too, is "How Great Thou Art" because it blends the creation with God's love expressed through his son Jesus Christ in such a beautiful way.
Sister Daly-Sheldon told how she was only vaguely aware of the church until she was a teenager and really wanted to know. She read The Book of Mormon in a week and waited and waited for an answer. A few weeks later, her stepdad gave her a blessing that gave her the words she had been waiting for. Her heavenly parents had always been there and loved her deeply. The Book of Mormon is true. She didn't join the church for several years, but that experience and knowledge was her anchor.
A few other sisters bore testimonies, and then a primary class I had worked with during the second hour came in and sang "The Holy Ghost" and "I am a Child of God".
When Christ was on the earth,
He promised he would send
The Holy Ghost to comfort us
Our true eternal friend.
The Holy Spirit whispers
With a still small voice.
He testifies of God and Christ
And makes our hearts rejoice.
I am a child of God
And he has sent me here.
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me
Walk beside me
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him some day.
Then we ended with these two scriptures:
Ether 12: 41
And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen.
Alma 26:35
Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
I thanked them for rejoicing with me and bore testimony and sat down. The end.
I read them this quote from the start of Elder Hales' talk:
Many years ago I took the opportunity to study the final testimonies of the prophets in each dispensation. Each bore a powerful witness of God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
As I have read these testimonies—and many others like them over the years—it has always touched my heart to sense how deeply Heavenly Father loves His eldest Son and how Jesus shows His love by His obedience to His Father’s will. I testify that when we do what is necessary to know Them and know Their love for one another, we will obtain “the greatest of all the gifts of God”—even eternal life.1 For “this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.”2
How can this gift be ours? It comes through a matter of personal revelation, which has been spoken of and taught this morning.
Do you remember the first time you knew there was a God and could feel His love?
Then I asked them to really think about that question, because in my dream Relief Society we would finish the lesson by just having EVERYONE answer it. I know not everyone is comfortable with that, so I asked those who felt inspired to share when they knew.
I told them about Mariah, who is in the MTC right now and learned from me as a little girl that Heavenly Father loved her and she just believed it because it wouldn't make sense not to. I told them that her testimony from that time had grown and that she hadn't always leaned on my testimony and that she definitely wouldn't be on a mission if she didn't know for herself. I told them her experience resonated with me because I learned the same truths from my mother when I was a little girl.
Sister Pitt told about how she hadn't grown up in a religious family, but had always known there was a God who loved her. As a little girl her mom let her pick out something to buy once and she picked a picture of Jesus even though she didn't know who she was. She just knew she was drawn to him and he loved her. She still has that picture.
Matt Olsen's mom (visiting from SD) told about how her prayers were answered over and over again even as a child and that when she prayed to know if God loved her the answer was an unequivocal, deep and resounding yes that has been repeated with the same power every time she has been unsure.
Sister Allred (my former Primary counselor who is moving out of our ward this week) said she knew because her father, who was a deeply religious man, took her on walks in God's beautiful world. His favorite song, and hers too, is "How Great Thou Art" because it blends the creation with God's love expressed through his son Jesus Christ in such a beautiful way.
Sister Daly-Sheldon told how she was only vaguely aware of the church until she was a teenager and really wanted to know. She read The Book of Mormon in a week and waited and waited for an answer. A few weeks later, her stepdad gave her a blessing that gave her the words she had been waiting for. Her heavenly parents had always been there and loved her deeply. The Book of Mormon is true. She didn't join the church for several years, but that experience and knowledge was her anchor.
A few other sisters bore testimonies, and then a primary class I had worked with during the second hour came in and sang "The Holy Ghost" and "I am a Child of God".
When Christ was on the earth,
He promised he would send
The Holy Ghost to comfort us
Our true eternal friend.
The Holy Spirit whispers
With a still small voice.
He testifies of God and Christ
And makes our hearts rejoice.
I am a child of God
And he has sent me here.
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.
Lead me, guide me
Walk beside me
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him some day.
Then we ended with these two scriptures:
Ether 12: 41
And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen.
Alma 26:35
Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
I thanked them for rejoicing with me and bore testimony and sat down. The end.
I love this feature. Thank you for sharing your lessons. I don't get to go to Relief Society, so this is a great way for me to get it - and it's even better because it's in your voice. You're a gifted teacher.
ReplyDeleteTo thank people for rejoicing with you -- what a lovely ending to a lesson! I got to attend RS today and rejoiced about that.
ReplyDeleteHeather, I just "had my Relief Society lesson" from you! And wished I could be there when you teach in person....maybe when I make my yearly visit, we could time it for the week you teach :) xo momw
ReplyDelete