For the RS lesson I didn't report on, here is a quick summary. It was taken from Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk from the Oct. 2014 Priesthood Session, "Lord, Is It I?"
I started with the first sentence on the board and told them about my friend Ellen, who is one of my favorites. She is a clinical psychologist, and she has a sign in her office that says, "It's all about me!' When I asked her about it, she said that people needed a reminder about who she could help them fix. Too many people come to her looking to fix someone else.
Then I told the story from the New Testament that President Uchtdorf told about the apostles at the Last Supper. Jesus told them that one of them would betray him. Instead of looking around and pointing fingers, they each grew sad and introspective and asked him, "Lord, is it I?"
I told them the main point of this talk is that we need to avoid becoming complacent in doing the things that bring us closer to God. I asked for a list of those things. What are we supposed to be doing? Praying, reading scriptures, attending the temple, serving others, having family night, etc. Then I asked the ladies to think about what they do to avoid becoming complacent and we had a fantastic discussion. I put the central point of their stories on the board. My mom was the one who said to act on the impressions she gets when she prays daily. Eliza also commented--something great--and I can't remember which one was hers. I was taught many things by the thoughtful comments that came out.
The conclusion was two scriptures: Alma 5:14, where Alma asks a series of questions ending with "Have you been spiritually born of God?" and Ether 12:27--if men come to God he will show them their weakness and make weak things become strong unto them.
I like the insight that says (about our areas to improve) "Lord, is it this?" We should let nothing hold us back from the love of God -- even our favorite sins.
ReplyDeleteThat take on "It's all about me" is so much better than what comes to mind when you first read those words. Lovely. Would have loved to have been there for this one too.
ReplyDelete