It was a big weekend at our house. Here was the schedule:
Thursday:
Mariah and Eliza surprised me by driving all night to come home early from BYU. It was one of the best surprises ever!
Friday:
We gathered for a salmon dinner with our whole family, INCLUDING Grandpa Fred and Grandma Patty, who flew in for the weekend.
Saturday:
Cleaned the house together (thank you Dad and Mom!). Took Mariah to the Kansas City temple where she was endowed. Went to an Eagle court of honor for the two Bennion boys.
Grandpa Wimmer died this day. We were so glad to have been to the temple and have the immediate reminder that we are a part of his eternal family. We are so glad his struggle with cancer is over. We are so glad to have his genes still making themselves known in our family. We are so glad we had so many chances to see him and be with him before he went. And we are so sad that he is gone for now.
Sunday:
Mariah gave a thoughtful, articulate, fantastic and short talk about gaining a testimony of light and truth in church. Andy Reid (coach of the KC Chiefs) graciously and skillfully filled the rest of the time speaking about developing Christlike attributes. I taught in RS about not becoming complacent in our journey towards God. (Grandpa Fred even came to RS for the first time since he was Griffin's age!) We ate a brisket dinner together. Then I hosted a sendoff party for 22 incoming BYU freshmen.
Now read all that again, slowly. I didn't give the detail I usually do, but each sentence was a big thing, probably worthy of a whole post. I still want to savor each blessing.
Thursday:
Mariah and Eliza surprised me by driving all night to come home early from BYU. It was one of the best surprises ever!
Friday:
We gathered for a salmon dinner with our whole family, INCLUDING Grandpa Fred and Grandma Patty, who flew in for the weekend.
Saturday:
Cleaned the house together (thank you Dad and Mom!). Took Mariah to the Kansas City temple where she was endowed. Went to an Eagle court of honor for the two Bennion boys.
Grandpa Wimmer died this day. We were so glad to have been to the temple and have the immediate reminder that we are a part of his eternal family. We are so glad his struggle with cancer is over. We are so glad to have his genes still making themselves known in our family. We are so glad we had so many chances to see him and be with him before he went. And we are so sad that he is gone for now.
Sunday:
Mariah gave a thoughtful, articulate, fantastic and short talk about gaining a testimony of light and truth in church. Andy Reid (coach of the KC Chiefs) graciously and skillfully filled the rest of the time speaking about developing Christlike attributes. I taught in RS about not becoming complacent in our journey towards God. (Grandpa Fred even came to RS for the first time since he was Griffin's age!) We ate a brisket dinner together. Then I hosted a sendoff party for 22 incoming BYU freshmen.
Now read all that again, slowly. I didn't give the detail I usually do, but each sentence was a big thing, probably worthy of a whole post. I still want to savor each blessing.
You're last sentence tossed in as an afterthought. Wow.That is a while weekend of work on it's own. What a whirlwind y'all had. That group of people in front of the temple looks so happy and so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYour thoughts about Alan's Dad were so well said. What a good and delightful man! We'll all miss him. You a such a good hostess from fixing special meals to making us feel loved and wanted. Plus you visit well! Please thank Willa for sharing her bed with us.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. You really said it all well.
ReplyDeleteWhat a weekend for pulling on the heart-strings. Your beautiful Mariah will have amazing and life-changing experiences on her mission - and taking this first step of going to the temple is so exciting. LOVE the picture!
I'm with Paige on that last sentence - you do these things like they're normal everyday things. They are not normal things at my house! Love you!
Wow. What a weekend. I am so sorry about Alan's Dad, but like others said your words were perfect.
ReplyDeleteI love that your parents were there for everything that happened. And you are right everything could have been a separate post but I am glad you shared your blessings. Love you guys and sending extra prayers your way.
Heather, I am going through my mail...finally....and don't remember if I responded to this one! So, I will ...maybe again...and tell you how special your mom and dad are to me...maybe because they are your parents but in addition to that! :) xo momw
ReplyDelete