Not Knowing Beforehand

This is the latest installment of being led by the spirit, not knowing beforehand much of what was going to happen in Relief Society.  We discussed L. Tom Perry's talk, "Obedience Through our Faithfulness" from the April 2014 conference, which I had been reading and praying about for a month and only had the barest of outlines of what we would do.

I started by asking the ladies what they would say to a child who asked, "How can I always know I am doing the right thing?"  They gave great answers that explained what following the Holy Ghost feels like: a warm feeling, peace and calm, an assurance that what you're doing is right, when things make the most sense.   I told them that they all gave really good answers, but if you were the grandfather of a future apostle, you'd most likely be inspired to teach that child through a parable.  Elder Perry's grandfather talked about training horses and how they had to learn to feel the bit in their mouths and be guided by the smallest tug or change in the bit.  They also had to trust the driver and know that he would always direct them the right way.  The bit of the horse's mouth is the Holy Ghost and the driver is, of course, the Lord.  We need to learn to obey the directions we feel from the Holy Ghost so we can always follow the lead of the Lord.

Then we memorized the third Article of Faith.  "We believe that through the atonement of Christ all mankind may be saved by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel.  I wrote it on the board and slowly erased words as we recited it three times until the only words left were FAITH, ATONEMENT of CHRIST and OBEDIENCE.  I talked about the relationship between faith and obedience--they are linked because of our trust in the power of the atonement of Christ.

Then I told the story of Abraham and how because of his faith in the Lord he trusted in the promises that he would have numberless posterity even through years and years of his wife's and his infertility. Years later than they thought it could happen, they were blessed with a miracle baby.  And then, a few years later, but before the posterity happened, they were asked to sacrifice that son.  Abraham kept his faith and kept moving forward to obey the word of the Lord even though it seemed to contradict and nullify earlier promises and commandments.  He prepared, traveled to the mount, readied the altar, and was just at the point of killing a just as obedient Isaac when he was miraculously saved by an angel and a perfect lamb.  I said if we are willing to be obedient the lord would save us too.  I asked them to think about miracles in their lives where they were saved because of their obedience.  I shared that our babies were miracles in every sense of the word and that we were only able to have them because the Lord made it possible for us to be obedient.  Sister Bennion told about how every month when her husband was in grad school she was given a miraculous way to pay tithing and feed her family.  Sister Wimer told about how she prayed that when her family had nothing they would be led to a place where her children would be protected and be able to live and learn the gospel.  They moved to a ward in Missouri where her daughter met a 13 year old boy who turned out to be the man she would marry and today call her bishop.  Sister Maxwell told about being so fearful that she would lose her faith in the church if she asked too many questions and then finally bringing her fear to the Lord and being assured that her faith shouldn't be in the church or in men, but in the Lord, who would always love her and give her answers to her questions and her prayers.  I used that to tie the lesson back in to the idea that it is through our faith in Jesus Christ that we are able to obey and see miracles.

Then I ended with this quote from Elder Perry:

"Too often we think of obedience as the passive and thoughtless following of the orders or dictates of a higher authority. Actually, at its best, obedience is an emblem of our faith in the wisdom and power of the highest authority, even God. When Abraham demonstrated his unwavering faithfulness and obedience to God, even when commanded to sacrifice his son, God rescued him. Similarly, when we demonstrate our faithfulness through obedience, God will ultimately rescue us."

I testified that was true and sat down.  I like to end with enough time to sing the closing hymn, which I also get to choose each time.  We sang We Give Thee But Thine Own, because I like how it ties in obedience and faith with Thanksgiving.

  1. 1. We give thee but thine own,
    Whate'er the gift may be,
    For all we have is thine alone,
    A trust, O Lord, from thee.
  2. 2. May we thy bounties thus
    As stewards true receive,
    And gladly, as thou blessest us,
    To thee our firstfruits give.
  3. 3. To comfort and to bless,
    To find a balm for woe,
    To tend the lone and fatherless
    Is angels' work below.
  4. 4. And we believe thy word,
    Tho dim our faith may be;
    Whate'er we do for thine, O Lord,
    We do it unto thee. 

Afterwards, a sister thanked me and I reminded her that I had shown them my very short notes and that pretty much none of the lesson was actually from me. She commented that the very miracles I asked them to share were happening as I taught. Pretty cool, I thought.

Comments

  1. VERY cool! Isn't it grand how the Lord makes miracles look easy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quote by Elder Perry is so powerful. Wow.

    What an awesome way (and very personal) to have those very miracles manifest in the teaching of the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the insight on having fears about questions. To take them to the Lord, himself -- not to the bishop or to the family or to pop psychologists will ALWAYS be right. I have so many friends wishing that "The Brethren" could handle questions. Problem is that the women should take the questions to the Lord. Not to social media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:00 PM

    Pretty cool for sure... Our lessons in church...Relief Society and Gospel Doctrine are being taught the same way our missionaries are teaching now aren't they? They used to have "a set of lessons" to get through before they asked people if they wanted to be baptized. (the way the lessons were that were taught to my mother) Again, I would have loved to have been in your class! xo momw

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment