Grateful in Any Circumstances

My RS lesson on Sunday was on Elder Uchtdorf's talk from the last general conference.  It was such a great talk!  I couldn't really do it justice, but here is what I did.

I started by saying that my older daughters think Relief Society is really boring because there is never candy or games.  So we had both.  Our game was that everyone had to come up with something they were thankful for without repeating what anyone else had said.  When they said their one thing, they got a piece of candy.  It was easy AND fun.  I told them that gratitude was a practice, so we were practicing gratitude in Relief Society.  For our second exericse, I told them to close their eyes and go to the place in their hearts where they keep their struggles and their sorrows.  Then they were supposed to take one down that had been bothering them lately and really look at it.  Then they were supposed to say a small prayer of gratitude for that trial.

And then I waited for them to do it.  And I did it too.

We talked about how we have been commanded to be grateful in ALL things, not just the fun things.  We talked about Nephi being tied up on a ship he was supposed to pilot, long enough and hard enough that the ropes cut into his swollen flesh, and how he still expressed faith and gratitude as he was in that circumstance.  We talked about Job losing everything and refusing to deny his faith.  We talked about Joseph Smith in the Liberty Jail receiving some of the most beautiful revelations in holy writ.  We talked about my grandmother losing her 4 of her 10 children, and when the 10th child died of pneumonia when he was only six being able to say, like Job, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.  Blessed be the name of the Lord."  We talked about my dear friend and neighbor Ren losing his kidney function, his sight, his wife and his foot and still being able to call and cheer ME up, telling me if he were any better he would be two people.  Then I asked if they were inspired to share any examples of gratitude in times of trial and I got three kind of amazing and very personal testimonies of how Heavenly Father supports us in our trials.  One was from a poverty-stricken single sister who hasn't had a job for more than two years, one was from a sister who is possibly losing her sight, and one was from a wise young sister who talked about facing trials that weren't really visible to the outside world.

I ended with this quote from Elder Uchtdorf:

"How blessed we are if we recognize God’s handiwork in the marvelous tapestry of life. Gratitude to our Father in Heaven broadens our perception and clears our vision. It inspires humility and fosters empathy toward our fellowmen and all of God’s creation. Gratitude is a catalyst to all Christlike attributes! A thankful heart is the parent of all virtues. 

The Lord has given us His promise that those “who [receive] all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto [them], even an hundred fold, yea, more.” 

May we “live in thanksgiving daily”—especially during the seemingly unexplainable endings that are part of mortality. May we allow our souls to expand in thankfulness toward our merciful Heavenly Father. May we ever and constantly raise our voices and show by word and deed our gratitude to our Father in Heaven and to His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ. For this I pray, and leave you my testimony and blessing, in the name of our Master, Jesus Christ, amen."


Comments

  1. Beautiful! Gratitude is so empowering. The quote by Elder Uchtdorf was insipiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the whole thing, and would have been even more grateful if there had a picture of your babies to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:46 PM

    Heather, reading a report of your preparation and your lesson is second best to being there! That is what I miss most about us being far apart...being a part of things in your lives. We are still enjoying Wayne not having "pain"....he hasn't taken ANY pain pills in over a week...not even to sleep and is able to lay on his side again! So, we are grateful for this ...for how long it lasts. xo momw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this concept: "Let's not confuse our crosses to bear with chips we have placed on our own shoulders." I use that as a reality check quite often. I do appreciate the few minutes to be grateful for legitimate sorrows and trials. You're a wise lady.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment