New Rules, Everyone!

Uhhhhhh....

Listen to that moan!  I am sending out Christmas cards again.  And I'm hating it this year!  Maybe having 6 kids is pushing me over the edge, or maybe I've just been doing it too long, but I am surprised at how many of the 125 cards I ordered I am begrudging sending.  After all, I thought this was my short list!  For this year, at least, I have been going with my traditional rules about who gets one (there is a post somewhere in December of some year....).  I still haven't even worked all the way through the people who sent me one last year and I think I've done 80.  And first degree relatives get one no matter what.  But here are the people I am thinking of giving the ax:

1. If you SPELL OUR NAME WRONG on the card you send us, I don't think you're really good enough friends to get a card.  If you do it repeatedly (like 7 or 8 years running) you should maybe get a prize, but not a card.  (Most common misspelling?  Whimmer.  It's kind of funny...)

2. If I wouldn't call you if I landed in the city you lived in, should you get a card?  Hmmmmm.  Maybe not. (Of course, if you live in Utah you might get a pass.  Because I couldn't possibly call everyone I love in Utah, especially when I'm spending every minute I have there with my family.)

3. If I was only sorta friends with you 20 years ago, should you get a card?  How about 10 years ago?  Five?  I don't know if that qualifies, even if you have sent me cards for those 20 years.

4. If you never have any communication with me besides a picture at Christmas, you may not get a card next year.  I think some of these people just have me on a mass mailing list and don't even think about me once as they put my address sticker on the envelope.  I'm merely a task to them--kind of like they are becoming to me.  Of course, I know many of them just want to get a card from me, because mine are often good.

WARNING:  This year our card is only okay.

The pictures are fun, and there is some thought behind what I did, but I didn't agonize or come up with anything unique or creative.  It looks good, but it's just a card.  And I think my mom may be the only one to really GET what the pictures mean and how they go with the words.  (Aha!  Now my sisters will step up to the challenge!)

Maybe my new rules should be these:

1. My mom gets a card.
2. People who comment on my blog regularly will get a card.
3. And if I feel like it, maybe I'll send you a card too.

I would feel pretty good about those rules.  How about you?

Comments

  1. Why is it that I love hearing your thoughts about sending Christmas cards every year? This year I have decided to return people's cards in kind. If they don't send words to me, they don't get words, just the picture.

    I can't wait to see your card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your rules. Maybe I should adopt them.
    Except I think I am too desperate to get Christmas cards so I send them to lots of people in hopes of getting them from those people in return. This hasn't really worked for me. Maybe I am just annoying those people.
    So on second thought maybe I should use your rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE to hear the rules. Even your minimum makes me feel lazy. This year I mass emailed. Then I gave hard copies to my children and siblings because you (Heather) say you NEED one. But I have only sent a very small hand full to others. We did deliver a few. Most people don't seem to care one way or the other. But I really must forward you the e-reply we got from Eldon Roberts. It is choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:00 AM

    I got your card today, and I loved it. Even the "only okay" one had cleverness and wit about it. I look forward to your card every year, so don't take me off your list! :)

    -Jill W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ok about your rules. I comment. :) and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really, I think this post is an awesome card. send this to your iffy list . . . next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:32 PM

    You are delightful as usual...and right on! I always LOVE your creativity that goes into your Christmas cards which makes it even harderM
    for me to get motivated to do my own.....since I have not one creative bone in my body.

    Now....
    I always love the cards from family.....

    Definitely dump those who misspell our special family name. They clearly do not understand what it means to be a WIMMER....

    I believe it difficult, if not impossible to keep in touch with ALL

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment