I learned another thing in the last two years that strikes me as very important. I gained a testimony of gentle exercise. I've always known the value of intense exercise (just look at my husband!), but through my pregnancy and recovery I wasn't able to do any of that. But I still felt like I should do things to move. Our bodies are made to move, and I felt like not moving would hurt me and my babies. They and I needed the circulation. So I exercised, but I felt like I should put it in air quotes every time I said it because it felt like such a pitiful small effort compared to what I was used to. I swam gently. I walked. It felt like not much, but I was diligent about doing it every day. I still think that is why I was able to carry these babies longer than my other twins.
I also tried to be very careful in my recovery to be extra gentle but still move every day. It took me quite a bit longer to work up to my usual intensity, but it still happened. I'm pretty much exercising like I used to again--except when I'm sick. When I'm sick I go back to exercising gently and counting even gentle exercise as real exercise. I think it helps me feel better. And if you exercise gently enough that you can even do SOMETHING when you don't feel well, you can be a perfect exerciser. You can do something every day.
Interestingly, there has been recent research on people who run multiple marathons and ultra-marathons, and their hearts get damaged over time. They lose the cardiac benefits of exercise by over-doing it. I think you have to go crazy over the top to do that, but it still validates the idea that moderation in all things--even exercise--is the healthiest way to live.
My plan is to keep going, and listening to my body except when it doesn't want to move. I want to be a grandma who exercises. I want to be like my beautiful mother-in-law and some of the ladies in my yoga class.
I also tried to be very careful in my recovery to be extra gentle but still move every day. It took me quite a bit longer to work up to my usual intensity, but it still happened. I'm pretty much exercising like I used to again--except when I'm sick. When I'm sick I go back to exercising gently and counting even gentle exercise as real exercise. I think it helps me feel better. And if you exercise gently enough that you can even do SOMETHING when you don't feel well, you can be a perfect exerciser. You can do something every day.
Interestingly, there has been recent research on people who run multiple marathons and ultra-marathons, and their hearts get damaged over time. They lose the cardiac benefits of exercise by over-doing it. I think you have to go crazy over the top to do that, but it still validates the idea that moderation in all things--even exercise--is the healthiest way to live.
My plan is to keep going, and listening to my body except when it doesn't want to move. I want to be a grandma who exercises. I want to be like my beautiful mother-in-law and some of the ladies in my yoga class.
Right on, sista!
ReplyDeleteThanks for blogging again...and for encouraging movement.
ReplyDeleteHeather, I loved your thoughts on exercising...mainly because I agree with all you said :) about the amount can vary just as long as we keep moving! I tried for years to get my friends to see the value of what I had started and NEVER GOT ONE to join me...Now that they are so much older and unable to do much because of health probs they don't feel like they CAN DO IT. I wish I could convince them of what you said so clearly. That they should just start with a little regular moving and gradually increase the effort :( I wasn't able ato help them see the vision when they were able to do more so am sure I wouldn't be any more successful now...and it would just point out what better condition I am in...due to the regular exercising the past 20+ years.... Keep it up you are doing great with all the everyday exercise you get taking care of your beautiful home and family...see you real soon!!
ReplyDeletexoxo momw
I agree though I struggle with it's application. You are great inspiration and a super example.
ReplyDeleteI love your writing.