Wyatt asked me to post what we did for Independence Day. It was a good one. We usually go to the pancake breakfast put on by the city, but this year decided to stay home and have our own pancakes. They are better anyway: whole wheat with any fruit or topping your heart desires, and accompanied by bacon and real juice instead of sausage and Sunny D. After we cleaned up and put the babies down for a nap, we brought our end of the baby monitor (Alan's phone!) on a bike ride with the rest of us to check out the Village Fest activities. This year they had a craft fair, a zip line, a rock wall, human hampster balls and some electric cars (we really were interested in the Tesla) in addition to all the bouncers, petting zoo and entertainment they usually have. It was fun, although Mariah and Eliza didn't think the zip line was worth the 30 minute wait.
That afternoon we went to the Beatty's house, which is one of our favorite traditions on the fourth. They invite a bunch of people I love to swim and have a cookout with them. It was a smaller crowd than usual and a beautiful, pleasant day.
That night, after we put the babies to bed, we had the big kids (and Ellen and Madison) read the Declaration of Independence with us, which I really liked. Then everyone went outside to break the law. (We did a few sparklers and snakes out on the street. Pretty tame stuff, really.) Then Wyatt, Alan and I went down to Meadowbrook and enjoyed fireworks on the lawn. We were impressed with the great show they put on for us five minutes away from our house. It was a spectacular end to a great day.
That afternoon we went to the Beatty's house, which is one of our favorite traditions on the fourth. They invite a bunch of people I love to swim and have a cookout with them. It was a smaller crowd than usual and a beautiful, pleasant day.
That night, after we put the babies to bed, we had the big kids (and Ellen and Madison) read the Declaration of Independence with us, which I really liked. Then everyone went outside to break the law. (We did a few sparklers and snakes out on the street. Pretty tame stuff, really.) Then Wyatt, Alan and I went down to Meadowbrook and enjoyed fireworks on the lawn. We were impressed with the great show they put on for us five minutes away from our house. It was a spectacular end to a great day.

Heather, your celebration of the Fourth was really full...of all the things that are done on the day :) With the addition of the reading of Declaration of Independence is a nice addition. I am afraid that the schools are lax in teaching just how great our country is and how it was formed and why it needs to remain strong and close to God. As I read the Book of Mormon and see how the people forget to be good and pay for it dearly, I worry about us in our time following in their footsteps...and the price we will be called on to pay. At our age, I am pretty sure it won't be in our time but fear that it may be in yours or your kids time, hurts me. How can we as a people be so foolish?!? That is the question asked by people all through the scriptures. What keeps my faith strong is knowing that it will all turn out in the end...but I hate to see people hurt when better choices would prevent it :(
ReplyDeleteIf you can believe it, we have a prob with "high humidity" in our little "desert in the mountains"...there is a bunch of moisture in the air...along with the heat...(but the heat isn't quite as high thank goodness) it kind of felt like San Antonio yesterday! At Kort's baseball game there were a few hundred rain drops but not enough to call the game...we just opened our "sun umbrella" and used it for the "little drops of rain!"
I really love our life, there are so many interesting things in it...I would enjoy not "getting so weary, so easily" and it would be nice if it were easier to get up if I ever foolishly sit on the floor, and feeling like the tin woodsman (sp?) when I first walk...before the oil gets to my joints...kind of hurts...all in all, life is great. Oh, one other thing I would prefer, is my memory to be as sharp as it was when I was your age :) Other than those few things...no complaints. xo momw
Amen, Joan! How soon we forget to remember. Thanks, Heather, for celebrating the 4th in your post. You think of such inspiring things to do and savor. I love you SO MUCH!!
ReplyDeleteYes. I really do need to be in Kansas. It's just a fact.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun and great way to celebrate the day! You, Wimmers, do things right.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you about eating your own pancakes on the 4th of July. Those boys of yours are just too adorable.
ReplyDeleteI'm also very impressed with you for reading the Declaration of Independence with your kids.