Here is a quote from the book I'm currently reading that made me feel a kinship with the author:
"But I always loved a book. If I worked hard, a book was in my hand in the morning while others were sitting down to breakfast; the same at noon; if I had a few moments, a book! a BOOK! A book at evening, while others slept or sported; a book on Sundays; a book at every leisure moment of my life."
I have actually started having time to read again. It sometimes happens while the babies nap. But I haven't had time to write reviews. Here are the last five things I've read:
Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us byMichael Moss. You probably shouldn't read this book. It will make you mad at people at Kraft and Coke. And it will affect the things you buy for your family to eat. They will hate it and tell you there is only flax in the house when they are looking for snacks.
Family Entanglement by Ellen L.K. Toronto. This book is about parenting and it is written by my good friend who is a clinical psychologist. It is mostly memoir about her journey as a parent, but it does draw a little from her clinical experience and her experiences with her own parents. I think the thing I got from this besides a little charge from spending time with a dear friend as an author was that sometimes professional help is exactly what people need to unload baggage from their pasts so they can get on with raising their own kids with a little less pain and damage.
The Favored Daughter by Fawzia Koofi. My mom let me borrow this after reading it for her book club. It is the memoir of one of the first female members of Afghanistan's parliament. It was broadening and gave me a perspective on and love for my sisters on the other side of the world who live much harder lives than I do. It was definitely worthwhile.
Just One Wish by Janette Rallison. I think I gave this to Mariah for Christmas a few years ago. My kids accuse me of giving them books that I want to read instead of what they want to read. I plead guilty as charged. I'm just sorry it took so long for me to get to this one. The author is one of Paige's friends, and I wish she was mine too. She writes such fun stories! This one was about a girl who stalks a TV star to fulfill a wish for her little brother who has cancer. It was laugh out loud fun.
Hugs2You by Patty Nielson. It only took me eight months...but it was a delight! My mom is such a master organizer, and it was fun to see how she categorized her blog posts and made them easy to find at a moment's notice. I really liked the added pictures. And holy cow! Did you notice how drastically she changed the birthday posts about her children? They were unrecognizable from what she originally posted and like getting another birthday card in the middle of the year. Thank you so much, Mom! I'm sorry it took me so long to gush about how wonderful your Christmas present was!
And I actually share a real kinship with the author of that quote. I am currently reading the autobiography of my third great grandfather, Parley P. Pratt. His language is really fun, and I am enjoying getting to know him better as a person.
"But I always loved a book. If I worked hard, a book was in my hand in the morning while others were sitting down to breakfast; the same at noon; if I had a few moments, a book! a BOOK! A book at evening, while others slept or sported; a book on Sundays; a book at every leisure moment of my life."
I have actually started having time to read again. It sometimes happens while the babies nap. But I haven't had time to write reviews. Here are the last five things I've read:
Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us byMichael Moss. You probably shouldn't read this book. It will make you mad at people at Kraft and Coke. And it will affect the things you buy for your family to eat. They will hate it and tell you there is only flax in the house when they are looking for snacks.
Family Entanglement by Ellen L.K. Toronto. This book is about parenting and it is written by my good friend who is a clinical psychologist. It is mostly memoir about her journey as a parent, but it does draw a little from her clinical experience and her experiences with her own parents. I think the thing I got from this besides a little charge from spending time with a dear friend as an author was that sometimes professional help is exactly what people need to unload baggage from their pasts so they can get on with raising their own kids with a little less pain and damage.
The Favored Daughter by Fawzia Koofi. My mom let me borrow this after reading it for her book club. It is the memoir of one of the first female members of Afghanistan's parliament. It was broadening and gave me a perspective on and love for my sisters on the other side of the world who live much harder lives than I do. It was definitely worthwhile.
Just One Wish by Janette Rallison. I think I gave this to Mariah for Christmas a few years ago. My kids accuse me of giving them books that I want to read instead of what they want to read. I plead guilty as charged. I'm just sorry it took so long for me to get to this one. The author is one of Paige's friends, and I wish she was mine too. She writes such fun stories! This one was about a girl who stalks a TV star to fulfill a wish for her little brother who has cancer. It was laugh out loud fun.
Hugs2You by Patty Nielson. It only took me eight months...but it was a delight! My mom is such a master organizer, and it was fun to see how she categorized her blog posts and made them easy to find at a moment's notice. I really liked the added pictures. And holy cow! Did you notice how drastically she changed the birthday posts about her children? They were unrecognizable from what she originally posted and like getting another birthday card in the middle of the year. Thank you so much, Mom! I'm sorry it took me so long to gush about how wonderful your Christmas present was!
And I actually share a real kinship with the author of that quote. I am currently reading the autobiography of my third great grandfather, Parley P. Pratt. His language is really fun, and I am enjoying getting to know him better as a person.
I too just recently read "Just One Wish". I like how diverse your reading is. It's always fun to hear about the books you're into.
ReplyDeleteI do so love your twins ---both sets and Madison too. It touched my heart that Eliza expresses concern about leaving you. You're such a good mommy. Lucky kids!! The Ws too.
ReplyDeleteThe two blogs, one right after another, got to me. I hate to not be organized and write a comment for the 2nd one first.
ReplyDeleteAnyway I loved your book reviews. So often you have influenced my reading material. I love your spot on take about books--------and life.
The food industry wants money. Moms want good health for their families. That fat salt sugar book came not a moment too soon. I am also impressed with your list.
ReplyDeleteHeather, from one "book reader" to another....I know the feeling. I don't only read books, I read whatever is printed! Signs/info on boxes/advertisements anything that is printed!!! Sometimes I wonder if it is a form of mental disorder!! I remember feeling embarrassed in my doctor's office when I caught myself reading things on his desk....even though they were upside down!! When we are going in the car I would always grab a paper or magazine if a book wasn't handy so I would have something to read....if I needed it....when there wasn't something I was seeing out the windows or we were talking about...then I got wise and just leave several things in the car that "can be read" in case I need them! Not the same kind of reading you were referring to in your fun book reviews....just a funny side of your mother-in-law!! xo momw
ReplyDelete