28. What really matters

Alan has a colleague who writes his own newsletter about heart health.  I usually read every word and sit back amazed at what he does.  One of the things he emphasizes, as a physician, is that the only thing that really matters is the connections we make with other people.  Luckily, we had a few really fun ones this weekend.

1. Mariah babysat three adorable little girls we didn't know at our house while their parents went to the temple. When I came back from Willa's soccer game, they just started talking to me like they had known me for years. "I'm Campbell, and this is what I got for Trick or Treat. I'm four." My favorite interactions of the whole weekend were with their two year old, Layla. She came right up to my tummy and pointed to it with big eyes and asked, "What is THAT? A balloon?" (I was wearing a red t-shirt, so it wasn't such a bad guess.)   At one point, she also asked me if I was a mom. I loved it.

2. One of our missionaries is going home this week, and he asked if he and his companion could have dinner with us one more time before they went home. I thought it was kind of cute. He plays basketball with Alan, and I've fed them once or twice, but really I didn't even know he liked us. Also, we thought we should invite the Aussie father and son to Sunday dinner so they would have a family experience on the Sabbath and so we could get to know them a little better before they go back home this weekend. They were really fun and unconventional. And then we invited our buddies the Bennions just for fun. And because I knew Heidi would help me and bring half of dinner. It was a fairly full house and not what I'd really choose to do on my own at this point in my pregnancy, but it was another answer to one of those prayers to recognize opportunities for service. And I think everyone enjoyed it.

3. Willa and Wyatt both finished their soccer seasons this weekend. Both of their teams are full of great kids with excellent families who have been really kind to us.   If you look carefully at the picture below you can see Wyatt on the back row, right side.  And you can see his awesome college aged coaches who are amazingly good at both soccer and interacting with this group of silly boys.

Comments

  1. Great weekend! Amazing, all the entertaining you do at this stage of your pregnancy. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is EXACTLY what I like about boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather....why in the world would you even THINK about a big dinner like that...when you are expecting twins...really soon...!?! I guess because you are 40 years younger than I am! The thought of doing it now would lay me low! I am sure it was a great success..and you did indeed perform service!
    I love seeing Wyatt peeking out of the crowd of boys and always think when I see a pic like this, why don't we remember to have the front row sit down when we have a double row of kids!?!? Such a little thing to remember as picture takers but a definite solution to being able to see everyone. Wyatt is such a fun boy...he is his own person...and happy to be who he is. That we might all be that comfortable with who we are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment