My little sister posted for me on her blog, because I kept asking her to and I think because she is feeling sorry for me since I'm in the last month of carrying twins. And I LOVED it. My idea is for EVERYONE I love to post a lot more. I have to lie around a lot these days, and new blog posts would make that time so much better! And even if you don't, I'm going to try to post. I have 33 days left until I reach my goal of uterine liberation, and I think it might help if I remember some of my blessings during this time. So I'll go first.
I'm going to tell you about Rita. I have a dear, but fairly high strung friend, who gets massages from Rita and said I absolutely needed to try it. She also happened to be really pregnant when she said that (her little Lucy was born last week), so maybe that's what influenced me to at least give it a try.
Rita lives in an old white stucco building with double red doors and stairs and walkways that have seen better days. (Angie warned me not to be scared when I went.) She is probably in her mid-fifties, and wears her hair in a dark bun on the tippy top of her head. And she really believes in what she does as a massage therapist. Her big dark eyes and expression are always deeply earnest.
So I went to her house a week and a half ago and had my first massage, just to give it a try. The next two days I felt like I could move like a normal person and could see actual parts in my feet instead of just puffiness. And I didn't mind her touching me, and I felt like it was a mostly modest thing to do. Those things alone felt a little miraculous.
Yesterday I went again, kind of grumbling that this was a bit of a splurge, and my swelling didn't go down hardly at all, but another miracle happened. I slept! I had a fabulous nap that afternoon that gave me more energy than I've had in months, and I slept again last night. I only woke up once (instead of the usual 4 or 5 times), and it was only for about a half hour. I woke up this morning thinking that it was well worth the price, if only for that one night of good sleep.
Maybe I'll even get over my native thriftiness and do it again. If I went weekly until I deliver, it would still only be a few more times. And that feels pretty good too.
I'm going to tell you about Rita. I have a dear, but fairly high strung friend, who gets massages from Rita and said I absolutely needed to try it. She also happened to be really pregnant when she said that (her little Lucy was born last week), so maybe that's what influenced me to at least give it a try.
Rita lives in an old white stucco building with double red doors and stairs and walkways that have seen better days. (Angie warned me not to be scared when I went.) She is probably in her mid-fifties, and wears her hair in a dark bun on the tippy top of her head. And she really believes in what she does as a massage therapist. Her big dark eyes and expression are always deeply earnest.
So I went to her house a week and a half ago and had my first massage, just to give it a try. The next two days I felt like I could move like a normal person and could see actual parts in my feet instead of just puffiness. And I didn't mind her touching me, and I felt like it was a mostly modest thing to do. Those things alone felt a little miraculous.
Yesterday I went again, kind of grumbling that this was a bit of a splurge, and my swelling didn't go down hardly at all, but another miracle happened. I slept! I had a fabulous nap that afternoon that gave me more energy than I've had in months, and I slept again last night. I only woke up once (instead of the usual 4 or 5 times), and it was only for about a half hour. I woke up this morning thinking that it was well worth the price, if only for that one night of good sleep.
Maybe I'll even get over my native thriftiness and do it again. If I went weekly until I deliver, it would still only be a few more times. And that feels pretty good too.
A good sleep is worth actual dollars. Plus, you have an out-of-the-ordinary way to obtain it.
ReplyDeleteIt's WONDERFUL that you have discovered Rita of the magic hands. Yeah for sleep! Yeah for less swelling! Yeah for feeling better!
ReplyDeleteHeather, go for it girl! Anything that gives you rest is a very justifiable expense in my estimation. I think of how soundly I've always slept and how when pg would "go to sleep" on my side/back and sometimes wake up FLAT ON MY FAT TUMMY.....sound asleep..I always wondered if it would hurt my baby...but it never seemed to. I was always soooooooo ashamed of me...that I could lay asleep..when I was asleep.!
ReplyDelete