
I love General Conference! It is great in general, but it was specifically wonderful this weekend. As I furiously took notes, I highlighted a word or phrase from each talk that summarized the topic. As those highlights jumped off the page, it was evident that the order of talks was inspired--much like a symphony. A lone violin started a melody line and was followed by a variation from a viola. Different themes and variations came in at appropriate times. Some speakers summarized what others had said or just kept going where the last one left off. When looked at as a whole, it was a beautiful work orchestrated by the Lord himself. I started writing in the hymns that were sung after each talk, and they added to the complexity and beauty of the pattern. I loved it!
As I considered my weekend, it felt like there was a similar orchestration going on in my life. It all made for the loveliest feeling that has lasted clear into this week. We started the weekend with a date to the American Royal BBQ competition, which is a decidedly low-brow event. We went with friends who got us into a private party hosted by J.E. Dunn (the contracting company building the Kansas City temple). We ate some delicious BBQ, realized we couldn't really talk because of the volume of the music and the atmosphere, so we walked around a bit before coming home. It was fun to have checked it out once, but I know where to get excellent BBQ without going to acres of tents in the dark with each pumping out its own brand of party music and letting the beer flow freely, so I doubt I'll have a need to go again.
The next morning, our family work crew did some yard work for a lady in our ward. We only worked for an hour, but it was beautiful outside and we got a lot done. Then we brought our sister home with us to watch conference on our computer. We ate lunch as the session was ending, cleaned up a little, and then I listened to someone who needed a listening ear while my family was occupied shopping and at a soccer game. We met again for the second session and loved every little bit. (How can you not with a lineup like Bednar, Anderson, Ardern, Cook, Curtis, and then hit home by Christofferson and Perry? I think the Saturday afternoon session is often a gem--a secret prize for the faithful.) That night I got to walk alone with Wyatt and Mo while the girls were busy doing their own things and Alan was at the priesthood session. He is such a thinking sort of kid. I loved hearing his thoughts about conference.
Sunday we went to the church to watch the morning session of conference, which was also completely wonderful, and then ate at the high priests quorum's highly regulated potluck in the gym between sessions. We came home and watched the last session of conference, with our minds and hearts nearly as stuffed as our bellies. After it ended, we biked over to the Bennion's house to celebrate Parker's birthday by sharing some dessert with them.
The great bonus was that we magically all had a day off from school and work the next day. We used it to do the yard work that we normally exact for our own yard and get the things done we hadn't because we had spent 8 hours glued to the computers and TV. We took a 30 foot pine tree down as a family. Then that night, we had the missionaries, a friend and her boyfriend over for family night. We started with tamales, had paletas for the treat, and played Taboo for the game. Then, the boyfriend is investigating the church, so we had a missionary discussion for the lesson. It was a wonderful discussion about faith, repentance, baptism and the Holy Ghost, and ended with Joe setting a date for baptism! We were so happy to have been there for that. It was an answer to our prayers.
As I am leaving this weekend, I find myself wanting to go back to the notes I painstakingly took (Literally. I wrote with a pen and I've found that I no longer have a writing callous), I want to remember a few of the themes and variations that stood out. Or at least a couple of the melodies that are staying with me. I loved, loved, loved Elder Richard G. Scott's talk about the scriptures. It was the perfect thing for someone planning a Primary program themed "I Know the Scriptures are True". Elaine Dalton's talk made me cry with gratitude for a husband who is completely good at being a father to his daughters. I felt deeply the things Elder Neil Anderson said. They are truths I have been feeling for months and haven't spoken yet. And Elder Callister's talk about the Book of Mormon was a rock solid testimony of the Book of Mormon that I hope will stay with me for months. I'm about to finish it again myself. Fine!
Elaine Dalton got me all misty-eyed too. And I think that working together as a family is one of my favorite activities. When we spend time working together the whole rest of the day goes better around here.
ReplyDeleteLoved your thoughts on GC. One day I'll be able to get more out of it. I mostly just shoo the little ones out when I start getting grumpy about not hearing anything! (I'm sure there's a better way...)
Thanks for your terrific report. It's nice to know we were being lifted by the same messages at the same time.
ReplyDeleteFor FHE last night, Dad and I compared the notes we had taken and felt completely re-inspired. My soul needs GC. Like a thirsty calf, I drink it in. Now I need the study time I always enjoy with the November Ensign so the messages can solidify.
After reading your last few posts, I do just miss Kansas City some but really I miss the people I absolutely love who live there like you guys. Thank you for being such a great example. You have always made me want to 'lengthen my stride' (as Pres. Hinckley would have said) and just be a better person and live up to my potential!
ReplyDeleteHeather Faith, I too loved conference! The two days just seemed to fly. I loved "something" about almost every talk...and I too loved the "looking up" story. It seems like "the world" is trying sooooo hard to make unnatural marriages normal...and love hearing speakers able to firmly state that "marriage is between a man and a woman."
ReplyDelete