
I can't leave September without doing a better job of honoring my parents. I want the blessing attached to that commandment--and they make it so easy!
50 things about my parents:
1. They were married 50 years ago this month. Hooray!
2. They are both from small towns in the Southwest.
3. They appreciate things like real turquoise jewelry, Navajo tacos, and Tony Hillerman.
4. They only knew each other for 10 dates and six months before they married. (And that is if you include their wedding!)
5. Luckily, they know how to rely on God and trust answers to prayers.
6. They honeymooned in Flagstaff, Arizona.
7. Their first home together was in France.
8. They are expert at packing and moving--they've done it a lot.
9. They are both college graduates. Mom from BYU and Dad from University of Omaha.
10. They struggled with infertility for 10 years.
11. They adopted two amazing children--a gorgeous girl and a brilliant boy.
12. They also produced three daughters who share their actual genes.
13. They gave us some good genes: Dad: serious work ethics, a penchant for geography and a sure knowledge of what is right. Mom: seriously fun, a tender heart and a love of noble and beautiful things.
14. They are very, very good parents.
15. They aren't much like each other but they compliment each other nicely.
16. Dad needs Mom's light and loving outlook on life.
17. Mom needs Dad's steadiness and sexiness.
18. They were strikingly good-looking newlyweds in the Sixties.
19. They have aged beautifully.
20. They like each other and try to be together.
21. They have traveled together.
22. They served a mission together in Tonga.
23. They honor their parents and their heritage.
24. They teach their children by example.
25. They read the scriptures together.
26. They pray together.
27. They serve faithfully--especially as visiting and home teachers.
28. They love the temple.
29. They have served in the temple together.
30. They love to read. Dad especially about history, church history and aeronautics. Mom about almost anything as long as it is good.
31. They let each other be themselves.
32. They built a house together.
33. Their marriage made it through a career known for destroying marriages.
34. They like the color blue.
35. They collect blue Buicks.
36. They also like blue recliners. A lot.
37. They host all-out, slam-down amazing reunions.
38. They only do it about every five years (much to Wyatt's disappointment).
39. They welcomed my poor, damaged grandpa into their home until he needed to leave.
40. They welcomed a foster child into their home until she couldn't live their rules.
41. They hosted a few pets. Mom liked them, and Dad tolerated them.
42. They regularly and happily host people they love.
43. They have a waffle night most Sunday nights.
44. They are willing to help their adult children and do it regularly.
45. They are really good neighbors.
46. They are wise.
47. They are slowing down and don't travel as easily as they used to.
48. But they still travel between two houses.
49. Their hearts still are drawn to the people they love who are far away.
50. They are loved and respected by many people from many walks of life, but most especially their children and grandchildren.
Beautiful Heather – and what a brilliant photo! Tell them I said so … and I wish them 50 more!
ReplyDeleteThanks Angi. I should give credit to the photographer here. The picture was taken by Nina Cochran of Studio 101. She is brilliant.
ReplyDeleteOh, good job. I love your list and the picture and your parents and you! What a great celebration of them!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Heather. Hasn't it been a fun ride?! So many memories in a few words...and you know how I admire brevity. Thanks especially for making being a parent such fun. I love you dearly!
ReplyDeleteCan I just write "Amen" fifty times?
ReplyDeleteHow is it that I didn't comment on this??? Yes! They are so great in so many ways. I'm so blessed that they brought me into their lives to share you (and my other siblings!) with me.
ReplyDelete