Yesterday I got to enjoy one of the perks of my new job--an eight-year-old baptism. Roman is a sweet little brown-eyed boy with cerebral palsy who struggles to form words, but his smiles can light a room. I was asked to make a program and say a few words of welcome at the baptism, but mostly I just enjoyed the day. Roman's mama has a big Samoan family who were there in force to support him, and his dad has two hesitant, thin, aging parents who also came to show him how much they love him. The Primary room was full to the brim.
Our adorable Peruvian bishop conducted the meeting, and the room rang with Samoan harmonies for the hymns. Roman's cousin opened her simple talk on baptism with a friendly, "Talofa" that was natural for the audience to return. Then Roman's dad baptized him with everyone looking on--especially Roman's Sunbeam brother, Ayden. We sang hymns until they were dry and dressed, and I was disappointed that they made it back just before we were going to sing Praise to the Man in Samoan. Another cousin, a sweet-faced eleven year old boy sang a song about Jesus in a clear and true voice with a shy smile. Then another cousin, a bishop in an Independence ward, spoke about the gift of the Holy Ghost and helped to confirm him as that gift was pronounced. After that, I got to give Roman a CTR ring and see his sun-bright smile as I told him how proud the Primary was of him for choosing the right and being a good example and good big brother to Ayden--just like Jesus--entering the waters of baptism. (I think he loves me now. He kept catching my eye in sacrament meeting today and giving my tiny grins and waves.) The bishop welcomed him into the ward and brought the meeting to a close. Then my sweet friend Marlena, Roman's mom, gave me a long hug and thanked me for coming. I felt like I should be the one to thank her. I can't think of anything I would rather have done with my afternoon.
Our adorable Peruvian bishop conducted the meeting, and the room rang with Samoan harmonies for the hymns. Roman's cousin opened her simple talk on baptism with a friendly, "Talofa" that was natural for the audience to return. Then Roman's dad baptized him with everyone looking on--especially Roman's Sunbeam brother, Ayden. We sang hymns until they were dry and dressed, and I was disappointed that they made it back just before we were going to sing Praise to the Man in Samoan. Another cousin, a sweet-faced eleven year old boy sang a song about Jesus in a clear and true voice with a shy smile. Then another cousin, a bishop in an Independence ward, spoke about the gift of the Holy Ghost and helped to confirm him as that gift was pronounced. After that, I got to give Roman a CTR ring and see his sun-bright smile as I told him how proud the Primary was of him for choosing the right and being a good example and good big brother to Ayden--just like Jesus--entering the waters of baptism. (I think he loves me now. He kept catching my eye in sacrament meeting today and giving my tiny grins and waves.) The bishop welcomed him into the ward and brought the meeting to a close. Then my sweet friend Marlena, Roman's mom, gave me a long hug and thanked me for coming. I felt like I should be the one to thank her. I can't think of anything I would rather have done with my afternoon.
Ahh. You put so much love into the things you do. The world is a good place wherever you are. I love you!
ReplyDeleteThere are things to miss about being primary president! What a sweet experience. I agree with Paige about putting love into the things you do. I have to think about Sponge Bog in order to do it, but you do it naturally.
ReplyDeleteYou almost make me want to be a primary president again. Almost. Isn't Roman blessed to have a loving Samoan family?
ReplyDeleteps Is his mother your counselor?
ReplyDeleteHeather!
ReplyDeleteThe spirit of your feelings comes through strongly in your message. How wonderful. We've been speaking about our Tongan experiences today. The Samoans and Tongans are brothers. Not very different from each other at all. You are blessed with a tender mercy in your new ward and new calling. How wonderful!
I had lunch at Golden Corral in Orem on FRI. There is a Tongan woman who works there and remembers me. I got a cheek rub (equivalent of a kiss in other cultures) from her when she learned we were in Tonga when her family left. She is 2 years older than M'Li. She is married to a Palangi (white man) named Heaps.
Thanks for sharing, This is my comment. You've undoubtedly noticed I don't comment on your blog, but Mom makes sure I see it.
Hugs from Dad N.