I haven't posted about my son in months, and I have the cutest video of him that I can't get onto my computer, so you'll just have to imagine him singing a Star Wars tribute to John William's music based on one of our favorite YouTube videos ever. He is earnest, bespectacled, with a clear high voice, and very, very cute. He's even wearing a Star Wars shirt. I'll let you know if I ever get my firewire to work again.
Wyatt goes between wonderful highs and woeful lows these days. Usually it is dependent on his blood sugar level. And usually we hear the same things when he is up and the same things when he is down. When he's happy he loves school and life. He reads me every word from each homework assignment and tells me how he figured it out before everyone else did. He tells me about the fun he's had with Henry or with the latest computer game he has been playing. He tells me all sorts of things about Greek and Norse mythology and about all the books he reads. And when he is low he can't even believe we are making him go to school. He already knows everything he was supposed to learn in second grade! And there are things and people who really bug him! And especially his sister bugs him. She can't help it--she has teasing hardwired into her genes. It's a sore trial in Wyatt's life. The litany is usually punctuated by shooting tears.
I've got to find a way to keep that boy's blood sugar on an even keel. I worry his intense focus will find the negative side too often and he'll get stuck there if I don't. And the world needs more of the happy side of Wyatt. It is completely endearing.
Wyatt goes between wonderful highs and woeful lows these days. Usually it is dependent on his blood sugar level. And usually we hear the same things when he is up and the same things when he is down. When he's happy he loves school and life. He reads me every word from each homework assignment and tells me how he figured it out before everyone else did. He tells me about the fun he's had with Henry or with the latest computer game he has been playing. He tells me all sorts of things about Greek and Norse mythology and about all the books he reads. And when he is low he can't even believe we are making him go to school. He already knows everything he was supposed to learn in second grade! And there are things and people who really bug him! And especially his sister bugs him. She can't help it--she has teasing hardwired into her genes. It's a sore trial in Wyatt's life. The litany is usually punctuated by shooting tears.
I've got to find a way to keep that boy's blood sugar on an even keel. I worry his intense focus will find the negative side too often and he'll get stuck there if I don't. And the world needs more of the happy side of Wyatt. It is completely endearing.
"Shooting tears." I could really use a video of that. I've only seen it twice before, and I loved the show. Good luck with the blood sugar -- big salads are my personal key.
ReplyDeleteWyatt's excitement over learning is awesome and endearing.
ReplyDeleteIt'll be grand when he can recognize beginning signs of low blood sugar blues. With his great brain, he'll come up with first rate solutions.
I could surely use one of his first class hugs right now.
I'm in love with him.
ReplyDeleteWow, I just watched that video and am still laughing. I think someday a boy would be a good addition to our family we just don't get in to that kind of stuff with girls. But I can feel for you with the school mood swings, Lilly does close to the same thing, though I don't think it is related to her blood sugar. What a great boy your have!
ReplyDeleteAnd who said boys are not dramatic! For awhile, Grant liked to tell Clark he was dramatic! I'm sure you can guess what happened next! Your description of Wyatt does remind me a little of Clark.
ReplyDeleteI loved the video. I'm sure the whole fam will enjoy watching it!
Gotta love Wyatt. Mitch is also into mythology--Greek and Egyptian--which he quizzes us on daily.
ReplyDeleteHeather, as you told about Wyatt and his telling you stuff, I think of the morning when he and I and Willa were up...and he started telling me the Dragon books he has read...and told me each one and as he went on to another one ....without pausing...Willa told him he couldn't just do that...not stop long enough for someone else to talk...and he just kept going..she actually took it quite well. I explained to her after that that had been the first time that Wyatt had talked with me and I loved it. She acted like she couldn't imagine ANYONE could enjoy that long of a story!! He is indeed a very special little boy. His intelligence will always be a challenge but then he comes by it naturally...look at his parents! I remember Alan downplaying his own intelligence with his athletic friends as if he knew that school work wasn't as easy for some of them as it was for him and he didn't want them to be embarrassed. xo momw
ReplyDelete