Modigliani Me


Mariah gave me this set of portraits she made for Mother's Day. Adobe kept trying to remove the red eye from the picture until I just made it stop. It is done in the style of Modigliani (modern, mask like faces and elongated forms) and I thought it was a very good likeness. Mariah has always been very good at art, but she says she hates it this year. Go figure.

Mariah has let me be around her more than usual this week. I felt like I hardly dare move or breathe--like I was trying to encourage a butterfly to stay on my shoulder--when she sat on my lap and asked me to help her with her homework several times this week. I'm getting more glimpses of who I remember Mariah was when she was little and less of the feeling that I'm trying to hug a cactus. And at the same time she is coming into her beauty and confidence in a breathtaking way. One of my friends likened her to a Celtic goddess with her long auburn curls. She didn't like hearing that though. Go figure.

Comments

  1. Wow, Mariah. She really is good. I think I would have known it was you if I had seen it in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful to be appreciated by your kids -- while they are still kids. Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:28 AM

    Ahhh the joys of motherhood. Isn't it great to receive such a creative card plus spontaneous love. Warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Won't someone please call me a Celtic goddess? I would appreciate it even if Mariah doesn't.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment