On Happiness and Sadness

I recently read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and I liked it a lot. It was interesting to see what she did to try to become happier. One of the insights that shines through (and she actually says it with words I think) is that happiness comes from striving. And it's not always pleasant. She talked about this as she was reflecting on her experiences of trying to be happier by leaving her comfort zone and learning something new. What a great idea I thought that was. Becoming happy isn't always pleasant. But we're happier when we learn and grow.

Several days ago, I read an article in the NY Times magazine about depression that said nearly the same thing. (You can check it out here. It was great) It was a great juxtaposition of thoughts--an article about depression right after a book about happiness. The basic idea of the article is that depression and melancholy help us focus on our problems. It's painful, but it is how we learn. One of my favorite quotes from it is that "wisdom isn't cheap." Pain is the price we pay for new knowledge.

As I thought about this, it rang true. It is what Adam and Eve learned in the Garden of Eden. And really, isn't this the point of this life? Adam fell that men might be (and learn and become). And men are that they might have joy (and continue to strive and become). Through the struggle we find joy.

Comments

  1. I'm glad I read this post. What a great paradox. It's a really cool concept. And probably true. I just feel really lucky to be someone who is just happy anyway. (Not that I should excuse myself from growth because I'm happy anyway, but still. I am lucky, ya know?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart your insights.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment