Willa and I played two duets together in the KCMTA multi-piano concert on Sunday. If you click on the picture I think you can see some of the 18 pianos on one stage in the background. I loved being a part of a piano orchestra, but the first thing Willa said when it ended was, "Well, I'm never doing THAT again." I think she was poisoned by watching her sisters play in it two years ago. They played an amazingly fun duet and hated it loudly the whole time. The next thing Willa said was, "I think you should make Wyatt do it next year." Since Wyatt's current teacher is sub-par and not a part of KCMTA I don't see that happening, but it does bring up an important question. How can you make piano feel like a fun privilege instead of some terrible hazing ritual that your mom makes all the kids in the family go through? It's killing me to be this mean.
Willa and I played two duets together in the KCMTA multi-piano concert on Sunday. If you click on the picture I think you can see some of the 18 pianos on one stage in the background. I loved being a part of a piano orchestra, but the first thing Willa said when it ended was, "Well, I'm never doing THAT again." I think she was poisoned by watching her sisters play in it two years ago. They played an amazingly fun duet and hated it loudly the whole time. The next thing Willa said was, "I think you should make Wyatt do it next year." Since Wyatt's current teacher is sub-par and not a part of KCMTA I don't see that happening, but it does bring up an important question. How can you make piano feel like a fun privilege instead of some terrible hazing ritual that your mom makes all the kids in the family go through? It's killing me to be this mean.
Comments
What a great opportunity! If only the kids thought so! I feel a pressure to hurry and get the kids to have as much piano as they can before they lose interest or get too busy. I guess some will keep going and others won't. At least you're doing all you can!
ReplyDeleteWho cares if your kids hate piano...Your hair is awesome and I want to look just like you.
ReplyDeleteOk. Let everyone quit piano, and feed them COOKIES all day every day. I have a pretty good recipe.
ReplyDelete