Our family went to our high school's production of Footloose, the musical, on Saturday. We had a couple of good friends in it, and it fulfilled a requirement for Wyatt's Wolf badge and for my Personal Progress too. I was supposed to write about how I can use the 13th Article of Faith as a guide for all I do and see how well the performance fit the bill."We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. Indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul: we believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely or of good report or praiseworthy we seek after these things."
The most praiseworthy aspect of this show was that it showcased some amazing talent from our high school. This musical has three good lead couple roles, and I was astounded to hear the quality of voices and performances our high school came up with. They weren't scraping to find girls (or boys!) who could really sing. I was completely impressed. "Almost paradise" was tender and beautiful. "Mama Says" was hilarious. And the actor who sang Reverend Moore's songs was quite possibly ready for Broadway. I couldn't believe how smooth and full his voice was. It was fun to see Footloose as a musical. It was cheesy, but it worked. And it had one thing that Kevin Bacon et al couldn't deliver in the movie: these kids, despite how really great they were, acted like actual high school kids. There was a lovely, slight awkwardness about their movements and their interactions that ended up giving the whole thing a sweet authenticity. That combined with some delicious Chipotle burritos and TCBY dessert beforehand made for a really fun night out with our whole family.
Don't you love being happily surprised by high schoolers? I've never seen the musical, but sounds like fun - especially with such talent!
ReplyDeleteFootloose SHOULD be done by high school students. It's great that your high school has such terrific talent.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed that you could apply the 13th AofF. But then you have always been good at deeper understandings.
Hug your terrific kids for their grandmother, please.
Will this inspire your children to try out for productions? I hope so.
ReplyDeleteI would love to have seen that! How fun.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree, Footloose SHOULD be done by high schoolers.