25 things

1. I don’t drink enough water. I go back and forth between trying to and deciding that is just way too much time to spend in the bathroom. It’s so much easier to live like a desert rat.
2. I was born via emergency c-section… after a troubled pregnancy… after 10 years of infertility for my mom… after my grandmother advised my mom that her biological children couldn’t possibly be as wonderful as her adopted children. Thanks for persevering, Mom!
3. My childhood memories are of lizards, rocks, creosote bushes and swimming for endless hours under a desert hot sun.
4. I learned the Nevada state song (“Home Means Nevada”) in second grade and I still sing it regularly. It’s the only one I know even though I’ve lived in 10 other states.
5. When I sing the “50 Nifty United States” song, Michigan is the best.
6. I used to bike a mile and a half to 5th grade using no hands the whole way there.
7. I really like the song “Handlebars” by the Flobots. My kids don’t get it, but I like to think I do.
8. I am much more tolerant of my kids’ music than my mom was of ours growing up. That might not be saying much though.
9. I have a pinkie toenail that is so small it’s almost not there.
10. I have great spatial memory. If I’ve been somewhere once I usually don’t forget it and can find my way back, sometimes even in the dark. I get it from my dad. I love to be the navigator when we’re out and I’m hesitant to get my husband a GPS (even though he would like one) because it would cut me out of that loop.
11. My husband is amazing—seriously, I could give details but you’d think I was bragging. I just think it’s totally lucky that he likes me so much.
12. My first babies were twins and I always felt sorry for people who only got one baby until I had singletons. Then I realized how nice it was to be done after changing only one diaper.
13. I came perilously close to going to law school once.
14. When I was in eighth grade I once stood about a foot away from George Michael in the Heathrow airport as he was surrounded by screaming fans. I don’t think I figured out who he was until later. (About ten minutes after you read this you’ll remember who he is.)
15. When my third child was three months old I shaved my hair off to an inch long buzz.
16. When my ballet teacher was telling me she didn’t think I had a future in ballet she suggested trying out for BYU’s folk dance team as sort of a shabby backup plan. I don’t think she realized I was 5 years away from college at the time. I actually ended up later being a folk dancer and loving it.
17. Meeting my friends’ families is one of my favorite things because I love to see where they came from. I wish there were some job finding and pointing out heritable patterns in behavior and physical traits. I would love it.
18. I’ve held every calling there is in the LDS Primary except secretary and teacher. It was a very good decade.
20. I have really long femurs. I shop for pants by looking at the bottom of the rack and seeing if there are any that are hanging a couple inches below all the other ones. It made my life much better when I decided several years ago to just never buy pants unless they actually have tall or long printed right on the tag.
21. If I could change what I’m interested in, I’d really like sports and finance.
22. I spent a couple of months in college wearing rubber boots, tromping around cornfields in Illinois looking for dead birds.
23. I know how to surf. Not much call for it here in the heartland though.
24. I found my first gray hair when I was 19. It was about a foot long and I taped it in my journal.
25. I am most definitely a morning person. It is much easier for me to get up at 5am than to be cheerful or patient after 7pm. But maybe those two things are related to each other…

Comments

  1. I just love it when I click on a blog and there are new posts I haven't seen. It is so much fun keeping up with you family. Bless blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list and learning things I didn't know. I think opposites attract, and usually that is a good thing. I have only ever been a teacher and a secretary in primary (multiple times for both) and I am definitely a NIGHT person. Funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew immediately who George Michaels was . . . does that totally date me! Jitterbug, what's the title of the song . . ." I'm never dance again, gifted feet have got no rhythm . . . It was fun to read those 25 facts. As for primary callings, I was recently the 3rd counselor and a long time ago, Primary President. Like Michelle, I'm a night person, but I know you know that after our early morning walking days! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Guilty feet," just for the record. Do you remember the murky haze of sleep-deprivation that day at Heathrow? Is that why I feel a little woozy when I think of George Michael? And here's a HUGE coincidence: my pinkie toe is maybe as small as yours. Woohooo it's just too, too cool. (The other thing that's cool is the number of o's I got into that sentence.) Your list is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment