A Christmas Story

Once upon a time (this morning to be exact), it was snowing. It was beautiful and serene, coming down in big flakes. I bundled my kids up, made them wear boots, and started walking to school with them. We kicked the snow in front of us, the wind at our backs. When we were almost there, Wyatt had fallen behind and all of a sudden I heard him screaming in panic behind me. When I turned around, he was stuck face first to the light post, his little tongue frozen to the icy metal. He was starting to really panic, and his tongue was already bleeding a little from his failed attempts to pull it loose.

Yes, we did see A Christmas Story--the stage version put on by Lawrence Community Theater--this week, and Flick was my son's favorite character. But Wyatt wasn't triple dog dared or anything. He did it on his own.

I ran to the closest house, rang the doorbell and asked them for some warm water, but by the time they brought the water the warmth of his tongue had freed Wyatt from his predicament. As we finished our snowy walk to school, he was crying and asking aloud why in the world he did that. I tried to tell him that was what this life is for--to learn from our own experience the good from the evil. He told me he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

Still, it was the funniest thing that happened to me all week. I giggled all the way home. Poor kid. Don't tell him you know.

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:33 AM

    I shouldn't laugh. I know from experience that it's painful! Why am I chuckling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owwwwww! The description of your walk really sets the tone for a warm and loving story. How delightful it had some DRAMA in the middle. Your Wyatt is a funny boy. I hope he gets a lot of mileage from telling that story when he's dating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I check your blog and find lots of fun new posts. I look forward to your Christmas card...now that I know the meanings behind every word chosen. Wyatt will need ice cream for that tongue. Maybe you can find some that is organic. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know what to write. I'm just laughing! "He didn't want to talk about it anymore." classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I triple dog dare you to let him read this post!! Just kidding...that was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such a wonderful card this year! and thank you for making me laugh tonight when I really needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the funniest thing ever! I've never actually heard of a kid doing the tongue on the pole thing and getting stuck. Greg is going to laugh so hard when I tell him. Christmas Story is our favorite and we watch it every Christmas Eve as we wrap presents and wind down. Now I'll really have something to giggle about when I watch it tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Some people just have to try it to believe it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment