Yesterday I asked Willa why she didn't want to take dance this fall and this is what she said:
"Well, I think I'm really more of an '80's girl. You know, I like to dance to things like Thriller. I don't so much like ballet."
Huh?
It's really funny to have your 8 year old tell you about being an 80's girl.
For those of us who really do remember the 80's, I have a link to a song by Prefab Sprout for you here. I don't know why I liked this song so much--maybe it seemed like a good idea to only keep six things on your mind at a time. So here are my six recently:
1. Nutrition and stuff to eat. I've been hanging out on www.greensmoothiegirl.com and even (gasp!) buying her recipes. So far I've tried green smoothies (with variable, but mostly pleasant results) and hot pink breakfast smoothies, and for family night tonight we're going to get brave and make her whole wheat donuts.
2. It's good to work in the Lord's church. On Tuesday I had a leadership meeting for my new presidency and advisors, and then on Saturday I went to a stake leadership meeting where they talked about the same things I had decided we needed to talk about on a ward level. Maybe this inspiration thing works, huh? It was nice to feel like I was at least on the right track. And may I say, my counselors and advisors are AWESOME. I knew they would be good, but they are already surpassing my expectations. Those lucky girls! Lucky me!
3. My family. I realized it's been a while since I posted a quick snapshot of what everyone is like right now.
Alan: owner of a new cyclocross commuter bike, he is supremely happy when he comes home all sweaty from racing home after a particularly fun complex ablation, which happens quite often. He has 3 moderate-sized callings at church, which sometimes happens to him. He tends to quietly stack them up. He is assistant ward mission leader, a committee leader in HP quorum, and the new Eagle Scout advisor.
Mariah: just fun and lovely. Alan and I have quite often been looking at each other in a pleased and surprised way that she has just pulled completely out of the seventh grade slump. She is (for the most part) cheerful, energetic, helpful and has a great sense of humor. She talked Eliza into running cross country with her and is only a few inches away from earning her phone back by passing off 30 hymns.
Eliza: has the longest hair, the best social life, the most boys who like her, the most babysitting jobs, and the best sense of style in our family. She is doing great in school and especially loves French. And she's had her phone back for a couple of weeks now.
Willa: she has two teachers sharing a job this year and I like them both better than her teacher last year, but Willa still goes to hug her last year's teacher after school occasionally. She is fighting piano, refused to do soccer or dance this year, and thinks she may want to try voice lessons out. She also still loves to push buttons of any kind--especially those on her younger brother.
Wyatt: King of screen time. Happiest in front of the new Lego Indiana Jones game he earned all by himself, he can also be motivated to clean bathrooms, make beds, practice piano, be cheerful at piano lessons and set the table if we let him play with Henry. If deprived of Henry time or screen time, we get a whiny earfull for a LONG time. His school teacher is one of the best I've seen--and I know Sarah Bradley so you know I know what good is!
Okay, realistically, numbers 4, 5 and 6 are also all about Young Womens. There are SO MANY details in this calling. I woke up at 4:30 this morning thinking about logistics for the Nauvoo temple trip, personal progress, presidency meetings and the lesson I'm teaching on Sunday. And that is only because I was done with having SED at our house, getting through last week's meetings and taking care of birthday presents for the next few months. I'm hoping I'll either get a handle on all the details by delegation or magical new powers, or find a way to sleep through these new rapids that crop up so frequently in my stream of thought.
"Well, I think I'm really more of an '80's girl. You know, I like to dance to things like Thriller. I don't so much like ballet."
Huh?
It's really funny to have your 8 year old tell you about being an 80's girl.
For those of us who really do remember the 80's, I have a link to a song by Prefab Sprout for you here. I don't know why I liked this song so much--maybe it seemed like a good idea to only keep six things on your mind at a time. So here are my six recently:
1. Nutrition and stuff to eat. I've been hanging out on www.greensmoothiegirl.com and even (gasp!) buying her recipes. So far I've tried green smoothies (with variable, but mostly pleasant results) and hot pink breakfast smoothies, and for family night tonight we're going to get brave and make her whole wheat donuts.
2. It's good to work in the Lord's church. On Tuesday I had a leadership meeting for my new presidency and advisors, and then on Saturday I went to a stake leadership meeting where they talked about the same things I had decided we needed to talk about on a ward level. Maybe this inspiration thing works, huh? It was nice to feel like I was at least on the right track. And may I say, my counselors and advisors are AWESOME. I knew they would be good, but they are already surpassing my expectations. Those lucky girls! Lucky me!
3. My family. I realized it's been a while since I posted a quick snapshot of what everyone is like right now.
Alan: owner of a new cyclocross commuter bike, he is supremely happy when he comes home all sweaty from racing home after a particularly fun complex ablation, which happens quite often. He has 3 moderate-sized callings at church, which sometimes happens to him. He tends to quietly stack them up. He is assistant ward mission leader, a committee leader in HP quorum, and the new Eagle Scout advisor.
Mariah: just fun and lovely. Alan and I have quite often been looking at each other in a pleased and surprised way that she has just pulled completely out of the seventh grade slump. She is (for the most part) cheerful, energetic, helpful and has a great sense of humor. She talked Eliza into running cross country with her and is only a few inches away from earning her phone back by passing off 30 hymns.
Eliza: has the longest hair, the best social life, the most boys who like her, the most babysitting jobs, and the best sense of style in our family. She is doing great in school and especially loves French. And she's had her phone back for a couple of weeks now.
Willa: she has two teachers sharing a job this year and I like them both better than her teacher last year, but Willa still goes to hug her last year's teacher after school occasionally. She is fighting piano, refused to do soccer or dance this year, and thinks she may want to try voice lessons out. She also still loves to push buttons of any kind--especially those on her younger brother.
Wyatt: King of screen time. Happiest in front of the new Lego Indiana Jones game he earned all by himself, he can also be motivated to clean bathrooms, make beds, practice piano, be cheerful at piano lessons and set the table if we let him play with Henry. If deprived of Henry time or screen time, we get a whiny earfull for a LONG time. His school teacher is one of the best I've seen--and I know Sarah Bradley so you know I know what good is!
Okay, realistically, numbers 4, 5 and 6 are also all about Young Womens. There are SO MANY details in this calling. I woke up at 4:30 this morning thinking about logistics for the Nauvoo temple trip, personal progress, presidency meetings and the lesson I'm teaching on Sunday. And that is only because I was done with having SED at our house, getting through last week's meetings and taking care of birthday presents for the next few months. I'm hoping I'll either get a handle on all the details by delegation or magical new powers, or find a way to sleep through these new rapids that crop up so frequently in my stream of thought.
Okay, so I'm betting on the new magical powers. That' what happens in these kinds of callings. The Lord makes you more able than you would be on your own.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm going to totally copy-cat this post. I loved it. I'm going to list the 6 things on my mind as well as an update on my family.
And btw, thank you for being my brain.
Heather,
ReplyDeleteI visit teach the Green Smoothie Girl. I'm just tickled her website has spread to you in Kansas.
I love your blog. I went to it this morning because I needed a pick-me-up.
Good luck with your new calling. The Spirit is a marvelous thing.
Love,
Jill Winters
I love the update on your family! It's so fun to see how your kids are growing!
ReplyDeleteWhen is your temple trip? Maybe I could come down and see your family. I'm due for a good temple trip!