An inconvenient movie

When I woke up to the radio telling me Al Gore had won a Nobel prize, I was mostly disgusted because I have always thought of him as condescending and pompous and he keeps showing up all over the place. We had never found time to watch An Inconvenient Truth, even when it won an Oscar. We didn't think it would really teach us anything new and thought it would be sensationalized propaganda and show WAY too much of Al Gore.

However, we broke down and saw the movie this weekend. Although this movie is in large part by and about Al Gore, we were pleasantly surprised. It is a very well done, compelling film. It made Al Gore seem more like a real person and much more palatable, which is definitely worthwhile. It also was great to see the data about global climate change (which we already knew about and believed in, by the way) presented in such a straightforward way. Although there are some nuances that aren't fully explained (to the advantage of the cause of course), we were especially surprised that it didn't seem sensationalized or patronizing. The data are dramatic. It is a serious problem. It is good to have it receive attention in a big way. It really has been a driving concern behind the man who, I am beginning to think may have deserved some of the enormous attention he has received.

So watch the movie. Recycle. Use less fossil fuel. Make your carbon footprint smaller. Stop supporting oil interests. Support development of renewable energy resources. It is our duty to be wise stewards over the planet and our country is failing in that responsibility. We can do better and be better than that.

Comments

  1. I had no idea about the movie either; only that it was put on by Al Gore. But I, too, thought it was well done. It does leave you with a stronger desire to take better care of the earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I haven't seen the movie but I am thinking I should. I already do what I can to reduce my footprint. I recycle even though our city doesn't have a real program; I haul a vanload of stuff over to the recycling place a couple of miles away about once a month because it kills me to actually throw it in the trash. I'd LOVE to have a hybrid car or one that runs on grease. Just not financially able to do that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment