Five questions

Thanks to my friend Andrea for posing these questions to me:

1) If you lived in Medieval times, but you could choose your trade, what kind of artisan would you like to be and why?
There aren't too many great jobs for women in that era. Do I have to be an artisan? I think I want to be a lady in waiting. That would let me live in relative comfort--hopefully in a castle--while taking me out of the perils and politics of being royalty. Also, I'm hoping it would give me access to the royal library and music performances.

2) How would you like to celebrate your 30th wedding anniversary?
I want to tour Italy for a couple weeks with my husband. The food! The art! The history! Maybe one of our daughters and her husband could join us for part of the time. Wyatt will be on his mission.

3) If you owned a second home, just for vacationing, where would it be, and why?
I was just saying to Alan this week that I really don't want a second home. Both of our parents have more than one place to live and I think it looks like a ton of work. BUT, assuming I had one, here are some places I would consider: Asheville, NC. Just gorgeous. The Smoky Mountains are good for the soul and there is a lot going on there for the size of the town. Coeur d'Alene, ID. The first time I saw it I fell in love with it, but I've never been back. It is charming. San Francisco, CA. A townhouse right in the middle of everything.

4) If you could choose three original paintings to display in your home, which three would you choose?
This was my favorite question. Here they are:

Repentant Magdalene by Georges de La Tour. I love the light, the feel, and the theme. It's thoughtful and beautiful.




A Father's Gift by Liz Lemon Swindle moved me to tears the first time I saw it. We feel like our twins were a gift.



and Whither I Go by KeithBond. Keith used to be in my ward in Texas and our dads grew up together in NewMexico. He mostly paints landscapes, but I love his religious paintings.

“Whither I Go,” by Keith Bond, San Antonio, Texas. After witnessing the destruction of his people, Moroni, son of Mormon, walked alone, unwilling to deny the Christ. He had the faith and strength to fulfill what was required of him. Though we may not be required to walk the path of Moroni, we may be required to walk through our own wilderness of trials and sorrow.


5) What would your perfect day be like?

I've been wondering about this, since tomorrow is my birthday and I already know it isn't going to be the perfect day. I had a nearly perfect day a couple of weeks ago, so I'll tell you how it went--and edit it so it becomes really perfect. I woke up in a charming bed and breakfast when the sun and my internal clock woke me up and relaxed and thought for a good long while before I got up. Then I walked with my husband to the YMCA and exercised. We walked back to the B&B, showered and had a lovely breakfast someone else made for us. The innkeeper showed us the hospital where I was born, which happened to be about a block away, across the park. It has been converted into upscale condos. Then we went to the Denver temple. After that, we drove to charming Evergreen, CO and had lunch in a cute little cafe. Then we hiked in the Rocky Mountains for a couple of hours. (If it had been a perfect day I would have worn better shoes.) We came back and relaxed and checked email (this would be changed to relaxing and reading a great book), then went to dinner and a movie. If it had been a perfect day there wouldn't have been a loud speaker right over my head at the Hard Rock Cafe, and we would have seen a worthwhile movie instead of one that made us cringe. Or we would have skipped the movie altogether and gone back to our rooftop hot tub where we could watch the stars and relax.

If you would like to play five questions:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "I too am an autobiographer."
2. I'll respond by asking you up to five questions. You will answer them, because you like talking about yourself.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Comments

  1. I liked your choice in paintings. Really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I am really behind in reading my friends' blogs. I enjoyed your answers to my questions! Sorry about that weird Medieval one :( Loved the perfect day, and the artwork.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment