Christmas letters. I spend entirely too much time thinking about them (usually starting in October) and working on them. There are several people I get letters from that I love every single word and wish for more. But even from the cliche, "boring" letters or updates that are so easy to mock, I read every word and get quite a bit of pleasure. This year I decided that instead of the super-cryptic update I usually send I would write a lovely, heartfelt letter, infused with humor and a wry perspective on our little world. I even wrote one. When I had Alan read it, his response was..."Not bad."
Now, that is definitely NOT what I was going for. When you spill your words all over a page you'd like the response to be glowing, effusive and amazed. But, he was right. The letter was too darn earnest, long and self-aware. It certainly wasn't fun. Writing it helped me distill a few cryptic lines that will actually get sent to friends though. And if people really care to read all the stuff I think about and do they can post comments right here on my blog. I'm guessing there aren't too many anyway.
Now, that is definitely NOT what I was going for. When you spill your words all over a page you'd like the response to be glowing, effusive and amazed. But, he was right. The letter was too darn earnest, long and self-aware. It certainly wasn't fun. Writing it helped me distill a few cryptic lines that will actually get sent to friends though. And if people really care to read all the stuff I think about and do they can post comments right here on my blog. I'm guessing there aren't too many anyway.
You're not sending the wordy newsletter??? I must see it even if you're not sending it. I was going to try to do that next year, but if you're incapable of sending a newsy newsletter then maybe I am too...Can't wait to play with you TOMORROW!!!
ReplyDeleteCan I see your longer version too?
ReplyDeleteE-mail it to me, ok?
Love ya! Paige
Oh, all right. Here is is. I warned you, it's long...
ReplyDeleteDear People We love,
Usually my Christmas updates are as cryptic as possible, probably only fully decipherable to us. I generally pore over each word, trying to see if there is some more precise and concise way to deliver a short snapshot of what we are doing with sincere good wishes to the friends and family we have scattered across the country. As I read some of your letters, though, I delight in the details of your life when you share them. I decided to offer a few more of our own. If you prefer the short version, it is this: We are doing great and we love you! Now you can feel free to toss this aside, unless you really want to know some of the smaller pieces that help make up our complete picture.
We are a bit nostalgic this year, as we are trying to savor each piece of the last Christmas we’ll likely spend in Michigan. We have loved living in Ann Arbor. We have met smart, fun and good friends, enjoyed living closer to family than we ever have (Alan’s sister Karen lives only 45 min. away), had amazing opportunities to do things we all like, and we’ve loved drinking in the natural beauty that is here. Next year our Christmas letter will be postmarked from Kansas, and we are looking forward to finding our next adventures there.
In May Alan was offered his dream job, working at Mid-America Heart in Kansas City. He is impressed with this private practice of 35 cardiologists who have a serious commitment to their clinical practice, research, fellowship training, and their families. He is excited to be able to offer his newly-honed skills in electrophysiology to this group whose priorities seem so in line with his. He was pleased at the efficiency of accepting the first job he interviewed for. He has to be efficient these days because with all of the hours he spends in the EP lab these days, the only other thing he has time for is exercise and sleep, if he is lucky.
His lucky wife gets to spend her days doing the thing she loves best, which is being a mom. I am so enjoying this part of my children’s lives. They are at mostly sweet ages, and we get to talk about lots of important things as we drive to their activities, clean up, fix dinners, do piano lessons, and play together. In addition, I am still exercising, reading for only a single book club, dancing with friends, serving in the Primary, and as of this fall, blogging. (Email me for the website. I’d love to have your comments.)
If you read Eliza’s blog, you’ll see it is dominated by the activity that dominates her life right now, gymnastics. Eliza is very graceful and her best event is balance beam. She has great balance in life too. Even with the many hours she spends at the gym she is able to make stellar grades in middle school, cultivate lots of friendships, compose and practice piano a little bit, practice violin hardly at all, play with Willa and Wyatt happily, make us all laugh with her silly faces, and still wow us all with her sense of style and fashion.
Mariah’s style is all her own. She is passionate about gymnastics (she told Willa yesterday she wasn’t going to quit until she is 20), and her creativity is unparalleled. This weekend because she had a few minutes to spare, she made an adorable family of dolls made from paper grocery bags. She is not a whit behind Eliza in things pertaining to silliness or school. Her goal is to go to BYU, U of U or U of M and compete on one of their gymnastics teams.
Willa makes any team she is on better. Her soccer team this fall was lucky to have her because she made the winning goal of their final game. Her family is especially lucky, because we get to live with her infectious zest for life. On occasion she has to be jollied into doing things (like practicing piano), but usually she is the instigator of much fun. She made sure we had her wonderful kindergarten (and now first grade) teacher’s family over for dinner, she makes sure we are laughing and reading great books together, and she always makes sure that there is a baby around to play with.
Luckily, my friends having babies has helped us with that, because it turns out my baby is HUGE. I can’t believe he is five already. When people ask if he is in kindergarten, he sighs and patiently explains that he is in his very last year of preschool. As I’ve sadly looked at the preschool toys for sale in the stores, though, I’ve had to pass them by because his interests are far beyond preschool. Wyatt lives for Legos, Star Wars, Pokemon, Harry Potter, and any other fantasy world that he can find, especially if it is endorsed by the heroes of his life—his friends’ older brothers. Alan is hoping we can find him some friends who have older brothers deeply immersed in sports.
The year has been mostly good for us. In addition to the security of a signed job contract, we’ve had fun visits from family (especially appreciated were visits from my sisters), a splurge of a wonderful vacation in Disneyworld, a couple of luscious adult getaways, a summer family get together in upstate New York, and we are looking forward to a cruise/reunion with my family. These bright and shining spots help us get through the things that aren’t quite as fun (but we won’t bore you with those dreary details). Especially comforting to us is the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are so grateful for that message of hope and love as we celebrate his birth at this time of year. We wish you that peace too. Merry Christmas!
Love,
Alan and Heather
Love your blog. Love the long version of the Christmas letter and can hardly wait for the criptic one. AND CAN HARDLY WAIT FOR MONDAY WHEN WE START PLAYING! Hugs from your doting mother.
ReplyDelete